18 :) Aminah

Somehow, Someway, I was given a four month advance at Highlights. It's still baffling me how that was possible seeing as I've barely been there for long to be given such privilege. Not that I'm complaining because that's the reason I was able to pay back this month's due. I also got the salary advance from Brad, even though there wasn't really much need for it anymore seeing as Highlights' has pretty much covered the bill I needed to pay. But then again, I need to get Layla a birthday gift.

Her birthday is two days away, and she's asked for us to have a family dinner. She claimed it's been long since we've had one of those, so instead of having a party with her friends, she chose to spend the days with us.

"Minah, do you need Nate to escort you down to the arena?" Alex asked. We were having lunch at the school cafeteria. Jenny wasn't in sight, claims she doesn't want to intrude no matter how hard I tell her she wouldn't. When I informed her Alex asked me to be his girlfriend, she screeched into my ears, saying it took us long enough.

"Melanin." Alex said again, jolting me away from my thoughts. I rolled my eyes at him.

"You aren't ever gonna stop calling me that, are you?" I cocked a brow at him and he shrugged in response, smiling at me.

"Do you need someone to escort you down to the arena?" He asked again, probably thinking I didn't hear him the first time. Not that I didn't, I just don't know how to tell him I wouldn't be attending his match.

"Uhmm," I looked at him sheepishly. "I don't think I can make it"

"Why? What's wrong?" He asked.

"My cousin's birthday is on that day, and they're coming over since I told them I couldn't go to them instead." There's no way I can possibly cancel on them since the main reason they're coming over is just to see me.

"I guess it's inevitable then." he said after a while. His mood dampened a bit, and I felt bad for putting him in a tight spot. Knowing Alex, he's gonna act like he's alright but he clearly isn't. I kicked him under the table, hoping to get a reaction out of him.

"Alex," I pout my lips at him and he chuckled. We were slowly getting to being totally comfortable around each other but then again, our relationship is still new, months ago I could barely stay in the same place as him.

"It's fine, I understand it something you have no choice over." I fiddled with my fingers unconsciously and he took my hands in his, rubbing it soothingly. "I don't want you overthinking anything." he said and I nod in response, beaming at him.

*****

Their flight was today, driving down from Florida to here doesn't exactly sound well. I picked them up from the airport with a cab, and I totally underestimated how much Layla and Jake missed me if their smiley faces were used to measure it. We didn't bother going to my place, my aunt lodged at a nearby hotel since they wouldn't be staying long. Whilst they change into more appropriate clothings, I also went back home to change into a nicer dress.

After asking Jen to take a few pictures of how I looked, I sent them to Alex as per his request and wished him luck. Jen was going with Nate to watch the match, those two have been going everywhere together lately, they're definitely closer than before.

Today was another Saturday, my day off, that's the reason I told Aunt Khadi to come today instead of on Wednesday which was actually Layla's birthday, I just didn't know the school would also fix the match on the same day. I guess all the classes they've been cutting back on because of the matches is already affecting the school curriculum.