5 :) Aminah

I was having lunch with Jenny at our regular spot when someone suddenly sat next to me. "Hi." I turned around to find a distressed Alex by my side.

"Hi Alex." I said and saw Nate sitting opposite me and beside Jenny. "Are you alright?" I asked him before saying a quick 'Hi' to Nate. He muttered a 'hello' back to me, oblivious of a love struck Jenny by his side.

"There's this thing I have going on," Alex began, running his hands through his hair. I've noticed he does that whenever he's nervous. He looked at me wearily, and I sighed, already knowing he's up to no good. "Just get it over with."

"Okay. I need a favor from you," I nod, urging him to continue "I need you to act as my girlfriend for an art -"

"Huh?" I cut him off. There's absolutely no way he just asked me that. "Are you sure you are sane?" I scrunched my brows at him.

"I am." he said exasperated. "Can you please allow me finish?"

"Ok, go on." I urged, keeping my mouth momentarily shut.

"Thank you. Please I need you to to act as my girlfriend for my mum during the weekend." I saw Jenny snickering at my front as I shot daggers at Alex.

"And why would I do that?" I questioned, sipping out of my milkshake like he didn't just ask me a ridiculous thing to do.

"Please Minah, you would literally be saving my life. My mum has an exhibition she wants me to attend with my girlfriend, with the clause of attending with my girlfriend."

"That's an easy thing Alex, you can just take any of your fuck mates to go with you, probably Cassidy. I'm sure she would love to." That girl would literally do anything for him, and if Cassidy isn't interested, I'm sure he'd have lots of the ladies begging him to take them along if he asked a few of them.

"There might have been a problem with that." he rubbed his nape sheepishly. "I've shown her a picture of you when she asked for a photo."

"Why the fuck would you do that?" I yelled a little too loud, but not loud enough to draw attention to us. "I don't even wanna know why you have my picture." I'm sure he got my picture from my IG account because even though I refused to follow him back while we were still at loggerheads, that didn't stop him from liking all my posts. I noticed how thrilled Jenny was regarding the whole situation, and how Nate was indifferent about the whole thing, It's obvious I'm on my own in this.

"I'm sorry, you were the first person that came to mind." he said mildly. I totally wasn't expecting that response. I propped my elbow on the table, acted like I was thinking about it for five seconds before saying "Nope, I'm not interested. Find something to tell your mom. Tell her we broke up, it's not like we were together in the first place." I took a bite of my burger, not paying any much attention to him again.

"Minah you don't understand, If I tell her we broke up, she's only gonna have the upper hand." He clasped his hands together, looking at me hopefully. If it was any other time, I could have teased him for how serious he was acting, but right now, even I, am confused on what to say.

"I'm sorry Alex, I can't help you." No matter how I think about it, it sounds absurd. How on earth did he think I was going to accept, I mean, we barely just found a common ground, and now this. I looked at Nate, trying to make sense of what they were both up to and I saw him also looking at Alex with a knowing look.

"Minah please. What if I pay you twice what you get at Highlights in a month." my eyes widened as he said that, and my ears became alerted. Jenny looked at me with a look I know so well. I know she's probably thinking I'd be damned if I don't agree to this, but then the more I think about it, the more illogical it sounds to me.

"My pay at Highlights is quite huge, can you afford it?" I said keeping my cool. I know he can afford it, I'm 100 percent sure about that. I wasn't kidding when I said Alex is your typical college student, not only does he have the looks, the guy is loaded.

"Yeah. I told you I was friends with the manager, he was the one who told me the amount." That is totally unethical but it's not like I can go meet the manager and confront him. Looks like he's done his findings after all.

"Alright, I'll give you the feedback later." I said dismissing him.

"Thanks. Try to come to a conclusion fast because it's this weekend." he said relieved.

"What, this weekend?!" When he said weekend, I thought it was next week. "Just leave my space, I'll let you know what I decide." I shooed him away from my table.

"Ok, thank you." he said and left. I made sure they were out of earshot before I looked at Jenny, because that girl is trouble. One look at her and she would spill everything she has in mind.

"Girl, you need to agree to that!" she drawled out, widening her eyes.

"Urghhh," I pulled my face down. "I don't know." As much as a part of me don't want to agree, the fact that he would pay me if I agree is a huge green flag.

"You need to agree. What's there to lose?" When I didn't answer, she continued "You know there isn't. Do you know how many girls would kill to spend just a night with Alex, not to talk of 2 or 3 nights."

"It's a business deal Jen, no one is spending the night with anyone." I rolled my eyes at her. Leave it to Jen to make everything carnal.

"Yeah yeah, whatever you say," she said unconvinced. "and he's even paying you twice your monthly earn, just for the weekend." she stressed. "Girl, that huge!"

"I don't know," I tell her. "What do you think?" I have no one else to ask for these things, Jen is literally the only close friend I have in college, the others are merely acquaintances.

"I think you should go." She saw my face and knew what I was thinking "Minah you tell him your rules. I'm sure he won't have objections to them if he really needs you to go."

"But you know I just stopped hating his guts. How do you think this is gonna work?" I reasoned. That's another thing I've been considering, I doubt we'd be able to stay that long together without someone murdering the other.

"Oh please, yunno I've always told you it was a love-hate relationship, and this just proved my guesses. You've never actually hated him, you just never knew how to express your feelings." she waved me off

"Yeah, the feeling of wanting him dead." I said flatly. I wouldn't lie that I find Alex attractive, you'd have to be blind if you don't, unfortunately his ego is a turn off.

"Look Minah, all I'm trying to say is that you don't have to worry about it being awkward or not. You both got along well these past few weeks, so it's nothing, I'm sure there wouldn't be any problem. You both just need to have a strong A game, and that's all, everyone remains happy." She said like it's a simple thing as I sighed.

"I still think it's a risky thing to do, what if we get caught?" I reasoned.

"You wouldn't, as long as you guys both stick to the plan. I know it seems like a dangerous game, but we both know you need the money." her voice went a tad lower as she said that, not from pity, but from understanding. Jenny know about my financial situation, and she's been nothing if not understanding.

"At least if you do this, you can avoid taking extra shifts at Highlights for a few weeks and use that time to rest." She's right, I need the money, and just like she said, I can get a few weeks rest without taking on the extra shifts. All it's gonna cost me is my weekend and if Jenny's right, I doubt he will have any objection to whatever conditions I give him judging by how desperate he sounded.

"Okay then, I'll do it." I tell her and she beams brightly. All I kept thinking as I rubbed my temple was that I hope this doesn't turn out all wrong.

Not edited ***