24 :) Epilogue

Its that time of the year again, that time when celebrations are made in acknowledgement of divine favours, that time when families come together to give thanks for good health, friends, food and other positivities. It's that time for thanksgiving.

I traveled back home few days before and the smiley faces of Jake and Layla was enough to tell me how much they miss me. Even when their mum offered we go together for grocery shopping, they didn't let me leave, saying there was no need for me to go with them, so instead I stayed at home whilst Aunt Khadi went alone.

"Want to play with me?" Jake asked referring to his video game. "Sure." We were just on the second round when Layla came out with some hair products in hand.

"Hey, scrape off." she said to Jake who was so focused on winning this round since I won the first time.

"Going somewhere?" I asked as I eyed the red knee length dress she had on.

"What?!" She exclaimed. "Don't tell me you've forgotten you promised to help me pack my hair!" She said dramatically. Now that she's mentioned it, I think I remember her coming into my room very late last night to ask me that. I could have sworn I was fast asleep before she woke me to ask that. Layla can be unpredictable most times, teenagers with hormones can be nerve wrecking at times.

"How do you want me to pack it?" There's no point in arguing with Layla, she's only gonna end up twisting your words and frustrating you.

"Go away Layla, we're in the middle of a game." Jake said, wanting to resume the game.

"No. When she's done with my hair, you can go back to your video game!" she said. "Moreover, I told her since last night"

"I don't care. When we are done with this round, she would pack it for you." Layla snorted and I knew whatever she would probably utter next wouldn't be pleasant so I cut in before she could say anything.

"Where are you going to?" I asked, silently begging Jake to pause the game a little bit longer and after much effort, he reluctantly agreed.

"May invited me over to her friend's party." she said as I brushed her hair. Unlike my black hair, Layla's hair is brown and long, attributing to her dad being a Northern European, unlike my own purely African parents.

"It isn't even your friend's party. I bet you don't know the celebrant." Jake taunted and I sighed inwardly, wishing for them not to drag this out. Jake and Layla fights can go on for hours with lots and lots of bickering.

"Let's not fight about this guys, huh?" I piped in with a nervous smile as Layla rolled her eyes at Jake, ignoring his earlier made statement.

After much brushing and hair products, I was finally able to get the style she wanted. She left the house soon after I confirmed from my Aunt that she could leave. I finished the game with Jake, and he ended up losing all through even after three more rounds.

Lying down on my bed, staring at the ceiling with nothing on my mind, I jolted when I felt my phone vibrate by my side. The caller ID read Stranger❤️ and I smiled as I picked up on the first ring.

"Hey Stranger." I said, rolling on my side. That pet name somehow managed to stick around and I can't help but remember the time I told Alex no pet names.

"Hi baby. How are you?" He said. Alex traveled back home this morning instead, unlike me who traveled back two days ago.

"I'm fine. Have you gotten home?"

"Yeah, I got here about an hour ago" he said tiredly and I could bet he's running his hands through his hair right now.

"How is your mom? Are you both getting along alright?" Alex has been keeping me updated about the progress he's been making with his mom, it's nice to see him want to patch things up with her even if she isn't the best mom ever.

"We are, slowly but surely." He's also continued his therapy sessions, but he doesn't allow me go with him no matter how hard I ask.

"That's nice." I said with a smile even though he couldn't see me.

"Happy thanksgiving baby." He said suddenly. That was totally unexpected, I didn't see that coming one bit. I couldn't help the large grin that found its way to my face, and I'm not sure if my smile can go any wider.

"Thanksgiving isn't till tomorrow." I said demurely.

"I know, but I want to be the first person to tell you that." Words couldn't exactly describe my feelings right now, I felt loved and appreciated.

"Thank you." I forced out amidst my large smile. "Happy thanksgiving to you." I returned. I wasn't sure what to be exactly thankful for this thanksgiving, but now I know. I'm thankful for being surrounded with people who love me, people who cherish my happiness, and always want to see me smile, people who think about me and always have my best interest at heart. I'm thankful for all that and lots more, and I only hope life gets fairer as time goes on.

Not edited ***