Duncan (TDI) - Hanahaki Disease ⚠️ M

Male reader

Angst

Summary: y/n has had feelings for Duncan ever since they started the show, but he never acted on them because 1. He wasn't out to the other campers, and 2. He didn't want to ruin his friendship with Duncan. And then of course..Duncan liked Courtney. Well, atleast that's what Y/n thought....

 Hanahaki Disease (花吐き病 (Japanese); 하나하키병 (Korean); 花吐病 (Chinese)) is a fictional disease where the victim of unrequited or one-sided love begins to vomit or cough up the petals and flowers of a flowering plant growing in their lungs, which will eventually grow large enough to render breathing impossible (- Wikipedia)

TW: mentions of blood, cursing, hanahaki disease. 

1st person POV

"I have to say....that was awesome! When you guys opened fire on your own team- wicked tv guys." Chris praised, as well all stood around him after the challenge. I fiddled with the fake antlers that were in my hand, the faint paint visible on my finger tips. 

Me and Duncan had originally planned to stick together during this challenge, both being deer on the same team, but we ended up separating half way through the challenge. I haven't seen him since, and I'm beginning to get worried. "Hey, where are Duncan and Courtney?" Harold asked, making the others turn to him. 'Oh god, Courtney's missing too?'

But then, Sadie nudged him and gestured towards a sound coming from the woods. We all turned and saw Courtney and Duncan trudging over to us....with their antlers tangled up? 'How the hell did they manage to do that..?' 

"Oh this is too much"

My heart sank a little in my chest, as the all too familiar feeling of jealousy rose over me. "Oooh, Duncan you sly dog, you!" Owen chuckled, making me feel worse. "The girl can't keep her antlers off me" the green haired boy joked, smirking as Courtney just glared. 

She then proceeded to kick him in the nuts, making Duncan whine in pain. Some of the other contestants laughed at the interaction while Chris just scolded the two. "Easy Courtney, our medical tents are really only equipped for one at a time and Cody's pretty messed up." He said, gesturing to the beat-up boy next to him.

My throat became a bit scratchy, but I ignored it. 'Probably just dehydrated...' I thought to myself, ignoring the burning feeling that formed in the back of my throat.

Bridget and Geoff separated the two, but I didn't understand why they couldn't just take the headbands off. 'Did he just now want to stay with her...?' My insecurities crept up on me, and I tried to push them away and focus on what Chris was saying.  

My thoughts were interrupted by our team cheering, and I soon realized that Chris had announced our victory. I smiled and clapped a bit, distracting myself from my previous emotions. "Gophers, I'll see you at the campfire ceremony,...again."

****

The Killer Bass all walked through the camp and to their cabin, exhausted after the challenge they just experienced. "Man, I'm gonna have some bruises tomorrow..." Harold whined. "Keep complaining and I'll make sure you do." Retorted Duncan, glaring at the redhead. "Alright you guys, break it up." Geoff said as he stepped between them. 

We finally made it to the cabins and separated into boys and girls, each group going to their assigned side of the small building. Me and the rest of the boys entered our side, and almost immediately collapsed onto our bunks. "Man I'm exhausted..." DJ said, and the rest of us grunted in agreement. 

"I've never looked forward to sleeping on these stupid old bunks so much..." I said, burrying my face in the pillow as the others chuckled. After lazily changing into my pajamas, I sat down on my bunk. Everyone got settled, the sound of moving blankets and the wood creaking eventually came to a stop.