Benny Rodriguez - Do it again 🦋/⚠ M

Male reader

Fluff, a little angst 

Summary/background info: Y/n has had a crush on Benny for a while now. He met them (the sandlot boys) a few years back, and now they go to the sandlot everyday to play baseball together. Eventually y/n caught feelings, but he never said anything because being gay was frowned upon in their town. Until one day when he lets it slip. 

Y/n POV

"Alright, we'll all go back to change and then meet up at the pool, alright?" we all nodded in understanding at the red headed boy, before turning and running off towards our houses. 

"Oh man I can't wait to get to the pool, its freaking boiling out here!" whined Squints. I chuckled and nodded. "I know, if we hadn't convinced Benny to let us go I probably would've fainted by now" agreed Ham. 

Ham, Squints and I were all neighbors, so we'd stay with each other the longest when walking around. We soon got to our houses, and I saw my older brother sitting on the porch. "see ya guys at the pool" I said, before jogging up to my fence. "you're back early."  Henry greeted, getting up from his spot on the porch. 

"We're headed to the pool, got too hot." I said, opening the door and entering the satisfyingly-cold house. "Ah, I see" 

 I walked through the house before arriving to my room. I quickly put on my swim suit, and grabbed a random towel from the shelf before running out the door. 

"Have fun squirt!"

"Quit calling me that!" 

****

"Hi..I remember you...oh, sexy..." Ham mumbled, walking in front of a large group of girls sitting besides the pool. He stopped by the edge of the water, and began to "flex" his muscles. "He's never gonna quit is he.." I said in amusement, and Benny chuckled behind me. "here comes the cannonball" Kenny warned, and we all turned just in time to see the large splash scaring away all the girls. 

I burst out laughing, joined by the others, and Ham swam up to us after resurfacing. "You sure know how to get em Ham!" Bertram said sarcastically, and Ham just scoffed. "Oh shut it, besides, they have no idea what they're missing..." 

"Not much, I can tell you that" Yeah yeah remarked, and Ham splashed him harshly. "Hey!!" This caused a domino affect, and within a minute we all were splashing around like idiots. This however, was short lived as Squints began to float away from the rest of us. Out of curiousity, the rest of us followed and I found myself looking up at the one and only- Wendy Peffercorn. 

"aw man..."

"yeah yeah, too cruel...."

"she don't know what shes doing.." 

I looked at them weirdly, confused. It was just a girl, I mean sure she was attractive, but they were acting like goons. "Yeah she does, she knows exactly what she's doing.." Benny said from next to me, and I could feel my heart sink a little. 

I knew he would never like me back, he probably didn't even like guys. 

But it was still disappointing.  I had liked him for at least 2 years- but I never dared say anything. Being gay was pretty frowned upon in my town. No one besides me knew I was into men. And we were gonna keep it that way. If anyone found out it'd be game over. 

And don't even get me started on my parents. While they  never directly said anything about it, I could assume from my grandparents they wouldn't be fond about it.

So I kept it to myself. No one had to know. Maybe one day when Im older it will be more accepted, and I could get a boyfriend of my own. But for now I didn't want to risk it.