Chapter 24 - worthless

Belle's Pov

"You like it?"

He asked it as if this wasn't the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I nodded and slipped the little ring on, it was practically falling apart and it would most likely be ripped or broken by the end of the night.

But it's the gesture, it's what I said earlier about the song. It's more than just a paper ring.

I kissed him lightly on the lips, pulling away only a second after. He smiled, I smiled back. And then we were just two smiling idiots.

stupid stupid smiley idiots.

Wow. Greeny boy and me. What a pair huh?

"Should we go inside?" He suggested, after I had totally forgotten the reason we came here in the first place.

Dinner with Mark Maxwell. And obviously many other snooty rich people. But the only one Leo was here for, was his dad.

Because of some stupid deal that Mark, had roped him in to. Cash every month for him to sit pretty, smile and wave at all his friends. Only to ignore each other until the next event pops up.

"Do we have to. I mean is it really necessary?" I questioned and he slid his hand through mine.

"That was the deal when we agreed to all of this fake stuff." Right. I mean yeah, of course. Fake. Yeah.

I winced slightly at the word but I don't think he noticed, which was good I guess. I laughed at the irony and Leo squeezed my hand.

"What's so funny? Thought you liked the word fake, no?" I glared at him and pushed open the door.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." I said as he grinned at his own sarcasm.

typical.

We walked down the stairs, the sounds of heels on the metal ringing throughout the stairwell.

We reached the bottom and made our way through the building. Standing opposite the tall door, begging to be opened.

"Maxwell?" I asked as he shot lasers through the door, presumably hoping they would land on his father.

He ignored my questioning tone and opened the side door. Thankfully we didn't have to walk down a grand staircase like last time. What a weird memory.

Leo and I hardly knew each other then, merely two strangers looking for someone to lean on, masked with two stupid words... 'fake relationship.'

A glass of champagne was offered to us and I took one as Leo declined. Weird

Before I could question him I landed my eyes on the absolute bigfoot of a man.

Mark Maxwell.

I knew I didn't like him at the charity, just from the way Leo described him. Even the stories that Kaylee and her dad told me about, but after that night in the motel.. I guess everything clicked into place. I realized what kind of a man he truly was. Abusive asshole.

Leo was nothing like him.

"Dad." I didn't fail to miss the slight edge to his tone, but simply brushed it off.

"Ahh. Leo. Great to see you and your... dat-"

"Girlfriend." He cut him off so abruptly Im surprised Mark stayed so reserved. He nodded slowly and repeated it, drawing out each letter.

"Girlfriend... Right. We have met before?" He held out his hand and I shook it as I felt that reassuring hand on the curve of my waist. The one that causes a confusing flutter in my stomach... and other places in my body.