Chapter 15: We need to talk

Crocodile had come into the cafe to see the new changes. Judging by the way he smirked you'd say he was impressed with how things looked.

"Hey Crocodile! You want your usual today?" You waved.

"I figured I try some of your new items.
Including that famous coffee cake of yours." He took in your appearance and nodded, "so uniforms now?"

"These two surprised me with them when I had my reopening." You pointed to Ace and Barto both gifting you with their toothy grins.

"I see. What was the reason you wanted me to come over?" You grew grim again.

"Remember how you said to contact you if Doflamingo started to act not like a landlord?" He nodded.

"We'll talk when your lunch rush ends." He orders his food and sat by the window and enjoyed the quiet.

You went to the back to check your phone.

You: hey come by the cafe after we close. If you still have today off.

Law: okay I'll see you around 6:30 😁

You were mentally preparing yourself for this talk. Neither of you was going to be happy at the end, despite him being attentive and taking an interest in your work, you just couldn't bring yourself to ever be in a romantic relationship with him ever again.

"I'm the worst kind of person."

"Boss. We've got a problem." Barto came in looking guilty.

"We out of something?"

"Worse." He wasn't looking at you, meaning he did something he wasn't supposed to. "Remember those donuts you had us try?"

"Yeah?"

"You know how we didn't finish them all?"

"Yeah?"

"We'll I accidentally left the box out with the leftovers, and well one of the older regulars bought a few, and said it was a good thing that we were outsourcing our donuts since we weren't really making any."

"Wait...you mean to tell me that..."

"Yeah...other people bought some and I didn't realize it until just now."

Which meant people were going to talk and they were going to expect those donuts now whenever they came here. And you being a small business depending on your good reputation, without it people would stop coming.

"Fuck..." you pinched the bridge of your nose.

"Boss?"

"Urg. I need to make a phone call. You guys okay without me for a little while?"

He nodded his head and you reached into your purse for the business card you'd only recently received. And made a phone call you never thought you'd be making.

You had a migraine. Crocodile read the text messages that you'd received and confirmed your suspicions, Doflamingo was contacting you with his number. And it sounded like he wanted to talk business. You also had sent Pops a text message about everything. What he sent back chilled you.

I'll take care of it.

"I can't with today anymore."

And it wasn't over. Your biggest obstacle was just about to happen. Law had sent another text saying that he wasn't going to be able to make it until later so you moved the meeting spot to your place.

"Delivery!"

"Over here please."

You opened the box and smiled.