Chapter 18: All the happenings.

<1 month after meeting Doflamingo>

"Hey boss the donut delivery is here. And uh there's something else too." Barto was loving his new role as manager and he was thriving in it. His parol officer a woman named Hina had come to see you a week ago to thank you.

"His attitude has greatly improved and he's even looking into anger management classes. Also he's thinking about getting his GED."

"I didn't do much...I just gave him the benefit of the doubt." She gave you a breath taking smile that had you been gay you would've fallen in love with her on the spot.

"Exactly he hasn't had that in his life."

It got you thinking about how many other paroles needed jobs and couldn't get that good paying ones cause of mistakes made in the past.

Maybe Pops will consider hiring people like Barto in his factories.

You went to the delivery truck and there was along with a box personally labeled to you. You sighed knowing already what was there.

Dear Miss Y/N,
Business is going great, with your added support my sales have gone up 45% than their typical daily. Again I wish to apologize for my inappropriate phrase I spoke more than a month ago, hopefully this gift will make up for it.
Yours truly,
Charlotte Katakuri

Opening the box you found and edible arrangement that he made at his donut shop. Evidently his accidental slip up inspired him to do this, and he was giving you 15% commissions for those which to you seemed ridiculous. What he said hadn't offended you, you just had a dirty mind. You had told him over and over again that it wasn't necessary but to him it was.

"He sent us one for each person so let everyone know to take them home or eat them here." You breathed a sigh, it was a sweet gesture the first couple times now it was just a bother, the things took up space in the fridges. And ever since you'd added the donuts, your customer base got even bigger.

Katakuri's donut shop was in the center of New World two towns over and his donuts had never been available here. And you had to admit they were 1,000 times better than yours ever had been. He had them delivered fresh every morning and they flew off the shelves. You were going to have to build a whole new case just for his donuts to be able to have them out for longer than an hour.

"You got it boss. My band members and I are meeting today and this will be a cool thing to have."

"Want to take mine?" You groaned. Your phone started to ring and the number you began to recognize as Doflamingo's appeared on the screen. You sent it to voicemail, and groaned anew.

Barto came over and placed a comforting hand on your shoulder blade and a toothy grin that reminded you a lot of Luffy.

"You okay boss?"

"Yeah just gotta deal with some business and personal stuff. And it's taking away all my energy." You rose and smoothed out your hair, a gesture you did when you were stressing out. Barto rubbed the area between your brows and smiled.

"You'll get frown lines that way." You smiled at him as he walked back to the front chuckling. If Barto hadn't been here with you from the beginning, you probably wouldn't have lasted as long as you had. He calmed you down in the simplest ways, he never lost his temper when people commented on his looks and he never complained about his hours or pay since he started. He'd been surprised when he received his bonus check and saw 5 extra dollars added to his hourly wage.

He'd hugged you and cried, in front of Nami and Ace who both got teary eyed at the exchange. Ace had teased you saying you should rebound with Barto, but you cared too much about him as a friend and employee to risk losing him. A different time and place, you could totally see yourself throwing yourself at Barto to get him in bed and maybe be in a relationship, but his friendship was all you needed.