Chapter 4

Matteo's POV

When I walked into the house the man standing on the door fell on his knees and started to beg. So pathetic. These people are parasites. Deep down they don't even care about their own lives. And why would they? This specific one would give his life in a exchange of a dose. But I want my money back or I will just take his life and this is it.

At least that was the plan. Until I saw the photograph on the living room's table. There was no doubt. This was the girl from last night, Camilla. Only in that photo she was smiling and it was actually a genuine, beautiful smile.

Antonio: Boss?

Matteo: Wait a minute Antonio. YOU!

I turn to the man who swallows hard and looks up at me.

Matteo: Mr. Corleone, I gather you have a daughter.

Mr. Corleone: Y-Yes. That's her.

Matteo: I see. And she is seventeen right?

The man's eyes turn from scared to curious and he slowly stands up.

Mr. Corleone: How do you know?

Matteo: You should be grateful that I do. You know, I think I might spare you this one. In fact I am thinking of making an exchange.

The greediness returns on his expression and I try not to flinch from disgust. I wouldn't bargain. I had one offer and he'll either take it or not.

Matteo: What would you say if you'd pay your debts by giving me your daughter? Wouldn't that be nice?

...

Antonio: What was that about?!

After the man is counting his money on the kitchen table surrounded by my men, me and Antonio stand on the hallway and he decides is a good time to scold me.

Matteo: You were there. It was a simple exchange.

Antonio: For a woman?!

I don't answer him, my eyes on that damn photograph that was messing with my head by the time. I had a feeling I'd see the girl again but under this particular circumstances?! That's some luck!

Antonio: I am talking to you Matteo! Whatever you saw in her you can find it elsewhere! You are supposed to be here to make it clear you are not a church! And instead of taking your money back you are actually paying a junkie for his daughter!

He shakes me from my shoulder and I shut my eyes closed trying not to shoot my own friend.

Matteo: Do not cross the line Antonio.

He immediately pulls his hand back and cuss under his breath.

Antonio: What is your father going to say about this man?!

My father?! Always my father!

Matteo: I don't give a shit what he'll say. And you shouldn't either.