Chapter 15

Camilla's POV

I get changed into the beautiful red gown Matteo has chosen for me and wrap my hair into a low bun. The accessories completed the look and if everyone was to see me right now they wouldn't in their wildest fantasy believe what happened before I had the piece of clothing on...a piece of clothing that in all its elegance is hiding the bruise on my neck and the fear in my heart.

I take a deep breath and count to ten. A simple technique that is said to be helpful at calming your nerves. I don't know if it did help though. I just gather all my courage left and try to remember Erica's advice. She is a woman who survived situations similar to mine maybe even worse...and now she has authority, she has power, she has a say in things all because she didn't let anything break her. I must do the same.

I open the door to find Matteo waiting for me as promised.

Camilla: Ready.

He looks at me up and down carefully before he smiles in sincere admiration.

Matteo: I knew it would look good on you but I am starting to believe red is your colour.

Camilla: Bloody red or just any red?

He smirks at me pleasantly surprised before taking my hand in his to kiss the back of it.

Matteo: Good to see your talkative self is back.

Camilla: I had a feeling you liked that part of me better.

Matteo: So you did it for me?

Camilla: Would that leave you surprised?

Matteo: Pleasantly.

That little back and forth and how he never took his eyes from mine made me forget what happened for a moment and I almost enjoyed it.

Matteo: So, shall we go? After all, I have to finally introduce you as my Queen.

...

I could only imagine what a mafia wedding would look like. But anything I thought of was exceeded by the luxury surrounding us. The church was near the sea and the place was guarded by at least two dozens of SUV trucks filled with armed men from the groom's side alone. Of course Juliana had her own protection same as us. We were accompanied by three cars with Matteo's bodyguards. But not one of them was allowed in the ceremony. Only Juliana's personal guard.

Matteo: Chin up and smile back if someone smiles first. Don't look too happy about it though.

Matteo speaks in a low voice near my ear and I try my best to ignore the pleasant tingling of his breath. When he gives me the instructions it hits me that I wasn't at all prepared for this. And I wonder...did he want me to be unprepared or does he trust me that much that he seriously believe I'll know how to act?!

Erica: My darlings!

Erica walks to us and kisses Matteo on each cheek.

Erica: Finally you came! Where is your father?

I draw in a sharp breath at the question but don't let it show.