Chapter 24

Camilla's POV

You can't tame the beast.

You can't defeat the monster.

The prince is the monster and the monster is the prince.

Different sides of the same coin.

Different foundations to the same building.

It's all vital. It's existent. It's all there. It never really leaves completely because one can't survive without the other.

Some people are simply wired that way. They can't find inner balance. So they have to live in between the human and the beast. And no princess can change them, no fairy can break their curse.

Love can only give them false hope. And it's false because happiness in that case is always temporary. No exceptions.

Only I didn't know that back then because I was drunk in that happiness, my own potion that I so easily forgot it was poison meant to destroy me completely...

...

- 1 year later -

Antonio: We found who was stealing from us. Some random gang that thought they could take from the 'Ndragheta.

I shrug following Antonio to the basement.

Camilla: They should know by now.

Antonio: Well, it's either bravery or stupidity. You decide.

Camilla: How many were they?

Antonio: Ten, we killed most of them, we brought in four. The boss and some kids who were on the lookout.

At the word "kids" my heart clench. Hard times demand for even harder measures, I should know that better than anyone but I can't accept the fact young people are getting dragged into this rabbit hole out of choice.

Camilla: Matteo is returning tomorrow, leave the boss to him, I want to see the others.

Antonio nods unlocking a cell were three people are help with chains around their wrists.

Camilla: Boys, it's good manners to rise whenever you have a visitor.

They all turn to look at me but only one catches my attention. A face that I know very well.

Bernie: Camilla?!

Camilla: Bernie?!

Antonio takes out his gun pointing at the poor boy but I place my hand over his stopping him.

Camilla: It's okay I know him.

Antonio: That doesn't stop him from being a threat!

Camilla: That's exactly what this means Antonio!

He shrugs but put his gun back on its case at the authority in my voice.

Bernie: Camilla how? What are you doing here?!

Camilla: The question is what are YOU doing here?