Chapter 25

Camilla's POV

Antonio: If you keep this up you'll be having the name of mother Teresa!

I arch an eyebrow at Antonio who's pacing before me like he wants to go somewhere and nowhere at the same time.

Camilla: Bernie is Giovanni's grandson! And we both know that Matteo likes Giovanni so...

Antonio: So nothing! He might like Giovanni but he certainly doesn't like Bernie. Do you think he's just going to let this go?

Camilla: No.

I'm actually counting on it but I am afraid I can't tell this to my friend.

Camilla: Is that only it Antonio cause you're acting like there's more bothering you!

He shrugs finally giving up his pacing and he stands still.

Camilla: That's a yes. So what is it?

Antonio: I shouldn't be complaining, the job is thriving we are stronger than ever thanks to Matteo, Vito is rooting in hell as he should and on top of everything my boy has you and that little one you are expecting, I should be happy about it.

Camilla: That's all about our lives. Not yours.

He sighs and sits next to me on the little bench in the yard.

Antonio: I came in terms with that fact no man has control over his own life completely, long ago. But I think I've lost the ball from a moment on and now I can't help but worry, worry about... Juliana.

I didn't expect him to admit it. I knew they had some kind of history from Juliana but I've never dived in the details.

Camilla: Wait! Do you still...love her?

He averts his gaze but that's enough answer for me.

Camilla: I am sorry I didn't know. I thought you have moved on.

He shrugs brushing a hand over his face before speaking without facing me.

Antonio: Me too. Well, turns out I couldn't. Juliana was just...it for me. As cheesy as that might sound. But I wasn't the same for her. We both made mistakes and we knew that she wasn't meant to stay with me but I was willing to take the risk. A leap of faith you know?

I didn't know. But I wanted to. I touched his hand and he looked at me again.

Antonio: That happened years ago but...I told her to ran away. Leave the country even and start a life elsewhere.

Camilla: What happened?

He smiled and that was so rare for Antonio that I found myself holding my breath. Only then I noticed his smile was a sad one and I realised I've never seen him smiling from happiness. He and Matteo are much alike after all.

Antonio: We had our spot, I told her to meet me there...she never came. She couldn't leave her brother because she loved him. She had her life here and I was just her dirty secret. For me she was, so much more.