Chapter 14

Matteo's POV

I never claimed to be a good man. I wasn't raised to be a good man. I was raised by an obsessive man. Obsessed with money, obsessed with power. I was raised by a mother who wanted to give me nothing but love... but wasn't allowed to*smiles* Yet I know she really loved me. Maybe she was the only person in my whole life that actually loved me, that cared for me without having anything to gain or expect from me in return and damn my soul I loved her too. That's why when she died I didn't cry...

How is that love one might say? But it is, I must add. It is because she was finally free. Because she was finally at peace.

By my father's side she was an unhappy woman. Even if she tried to focus all her energy and kindness to me it wasn't enough. Pills weren't enough. Her good nature wasn't enough. My mother wasn't a woman made for that life. She was born into it. An heir to one of the most powerful weapon dealers of its time even if she didn't have control over her life. Her father decided for her fate and later on her husband, my father.

When she died I am sure she found peace. And no matter what anyone say I know the truth. She ended her own life one way or another. Sadness was eating her up and I could see it coming. One day that she has consumed drugs and alcohol together she started a small delirium that I was there to listen. She confessed to me that she fell pregnant before me. Once. The child was a girl and once my father learnt about it he made her abort it. He didn't care about having any child. He wanted a male.

One that would secure his legacy. His place at the time. Yet he never thought that a child who grows to become a damaged adult is going to ever hurt him. But oh! How many times have I dreamt of that moment?! How many times have I visioned how I'd end his life, slowly, painfully. For me. For my mother. For my sanity!

And that time has come. Given to me under the cover of the best reason I could ask for. It wasn't slow. It was fast. Instant. Lethal.

He was gone.

I wiped away her tears and she looked at me half relieved half terrified. I wanted to feel nothing but I couldn't. No man with a beating heart would be able to stay unbothered by the sight of those eyes crying. She was so fragile at the moment yet so beautiful I think the image imprinted in my mind. Yet I wanted nothing but to make her crying stop. It hurt me to see her like that in ways I didn't think possible.

Matteo: Did you understand what I say Camilla?

I repeat my words without showing emotion until she nods.

Matteo: Good. We weren't here and this never happened. Only Antonio is going to know.

She nods again and I give her an approving smile.

Matteo: Good girl. Now, go back to your room get ready and wait for me. I'll knock your door three times.

Camilla: Okay.

Her voice faint but the tears have stopped. I pull a sweaty strand of hair away from her face and lift her chin up to examine the bruises on her throat. The sight alone makes me wish that man had more than one lives so I could kill him again!

Matteo: Use some ice on that it's gonna make you feel better. And I'll bring you a dress that's gonna cover them.

She looks at me without saying a thing and for a moment I find myself wanting to say more. To make her feel safe...but like the coward I am I don't. I stop touching her and the moment I do she stumbles running out of the room running to Antonio who must have heard the shoot.

Antonio: Hey, is everything alright? I heard- shit!

He looks at my father's dead body and then at me.