Chapter 16

Camilla's POV

I don't know how many more champagne glasses I have consumed and I don't really care. The party went on with more and more introductions. Toasts from the groom, the bride, the friends or allies. At some point I found myself in the balcony of the mansion the party took place on. The night has fallen and everything seemed peaceful. Magical even. It would be as if any Italian wedding only it wasn't just that.

I looked down at the gardens, they were beautiful, silent. Without problems. The alcohol has started to act in my blood and I felt the nostalgic need to see Giovanni or Bianca... shít! What would Bianca think? That I am mad at her for some reason? That I quit school because my father made me? Which is not far from the truth but...

And what about Giovanni? My pure, kind old Giovanni. I loved that man, he helped me through very difficult times and if it wasn't for his kindness and understanding I don't know if I would survive a life with my father. He knows Matteo has a reputation for a reason, he tried to protect me from him and now he probably believes I'm simply dead. My good, good Giovanni!

Christian: And may I know why you are all alone here?

Camilla: Ah!

I let out a gasp as I turn around to find Christian watching me.

Camilla: You scared me.

Christian: That was not my intention.

I scoff at the man and turn back to look at the gardens.

Christian: How did you get away from Matteo, I thought the man put a leash on you!

Despite myself I chuckle at the use of words. He could do that! And it would probably be hot!

Camilla: How did you get away from the dining room? You are the face of the day!

Christian: A question for a question then, huh? Interesting.

Camilla: A question that you haven't answered yet.

Christian: Well, in a wedding the main character is never the groom. It's always about the bride. Just because our wedding was of convenience doesn't mean the rules change.

I look at him to find him already waiting for my gaze.

Camilla: Hm. Makes sense.

Christian: Glad you think so.

Camilla: You know, Juliana is great. You should treat her right.

Christian: I have no other intention.

Camilla: I doubt you are truthful right now.

He arches an eyebrow at me and I roll my eyes.

Camilla: What do you want Christian?

Christian: To understand.

He doesn't hesitate and at my current state that throws me off.

Camilla: Understand what?

Christian: Why Matteo chose you. Even though I have my theories.