Chapter 9

...

Brielle: Nonna? Can you tell me a story before I go to sleep?

The woman glances down at the innocent face who looks at her as if she's her world. She loves that girl more than anything or anyone in this life. She is the reminder of the greatest gift, she IS the greatest gift. The only reason she still has the courage to be rule over the empire she never asked to be hers.

Nonna: What kind of story do you want to hear?

She asks as if it's the most natural thing in the world.She knew she couldn't say a story with a prince and a princess. A white horse and a happily ever after. No...she experienced enough horrors to know that a happily ever after wasn't meant to be met in real life.

Brielle: One with mum and dad... maybe?

The reminder of her child made the woman shiver but she only plastered a smile for her granddaughter. Everyday she'd have to live with the burden of her choices and only recently she realised that's the life she chose. Yes, maybe in the beginning she didn't have a choice. But in the end she was the one who decided for her fate. And now, sitting next to that little angel who asked of her parents she was feeling the weight of the consequences her actions brought.

Nonna: Alright. *sighs* What do you want to know?

...

Camilla's POV

I wake up in an unfamiliar room just to see Matteo the moment I open my eyes. I still feel dizzy and part of me resists the realisation of my new reality and the fact everyday, it only gets worse. The memory of the man bleeding out from his wounds, or his screams as Matteo pushed the knife in his eyeball without even flinching—

Camilla: Matteo?

I don't control my words as his name comes out of my lips like a plead. The next thing I know he is kneeling next to me on the bed taking my hand in his. And the feeling of his touch is as soothing as his embrace was after the horrors he committed like it was a routine for him. And now that I think about it...it probably is.

Camilla: Where am I?

Matteo: Home.

The answer comes without a second of hesitation. I turn to my left to look at him just to face the worry in his expression.

Camilla: That's not my room.

His lips curl up in a grin and he shakes his head while squeezing my hand.

Matteo: That's my bedroom Camilla.

I look at him surprised and he chuckles silently at my reaction.

Camilla: Why am I here then?

Matteo: Because you fainted?

Camilla: And what? My bedroom was farther than yours?

Matteo: *shrugs* It was partly my responsibility you fainted. I wanted to keep an eye on you.

Camilla: Partly? Why do you say that?! It's not like you killed a man right in front of me by stabbing him in the eyeball!