The Flayed (Part 3)

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Excuse me!" Lady at the front desk stopped the group from going further into the hospital.

Nikki inwardly groaned. The group had decided it was best to go to Mrs. Driscoll's hospital room to release her and follow her to where ever she wanted to go. Nikki knew this was going to end badly but still didn't talk about it. It's not like anyone would listen.

"Where do you think you're going?" The woman asked with a hand on her hip.

Nancy turned to her, faking surprise. "Oh, um, I was just going to visit my grandma again. And this is my family."

The woman looked pointedly at Lucas, which made Nikki grab his hand and give a "lost in romance" kind of smile. "He's my boyfriend."

"I don't care who they are," the woman turned back to Nancy. "You know the rules. Two visitors at a time."

"Yeah, but-" Nancy got cut off by the woman.

"Two!"

Nikki felt the pit deepen and she grabbed Nancy's arm. "I don't have a good feeling about that," she whispered. "I can go with you."

"No, you're already hurt," Nancy shook her head. "You can stay down here with the others. Jonathon and I will go. It'll be fine."

Of course it's going to be fine, Nikki thought. Nothing ever goes wrong when I warn you. Oh, wait.

She sat down in a seat as the rest of kids went off to so their own things. Mike and Lucas went to the vending machine to grab some snacks as El and Max were quietly whispering to each other over a few magazines. Meanwhile, Nikki and Will sat together looking done with everything.

"Oh, come on, you piece of shit!" Mike's yelling made Nikki look up at the two boys starting to hit the vending machine. Nikki continued watching, wondering if she wanted to help them or let them make a dent in the machine.

Before she got to decide the boys jumped back in freight as all of the candies burst off the shelves. They boys looked over to El who was already wiping the blood from under her nose.

"Thanks,' Mike said before starting to pick up an arms full of candy.

"Dude, I think that was it," Lucas whispered loud enough for Nikki to hear.

"That was what?" Mike asked.

"The olive branch."

"The what?"

Huh? Nikki thought as they both stood up with they candy they wanted.

"Oh, my God," Lucas looked at Mike with sympathy. "You're hopeless. Okay, I'll distract Max, get you an opening. And then talk to her. All right?"

Lucas then walked over to Nikki and sat in the open seat beside her.

"Don't you have to go distract Max?" Nikki wondered, leaning into him as he wrapped his arm around her.

"Not right away. I wanted to make sure you were doing fine," he messed around with the candy that rested in his lap until he found a Reese's peanut butter cup and handed it to her. "Not Twizzlers but it's still pretty good."

Nikki gave him smile, taking it from her hand. "Thanks."

"How are you feeling?"

"Not good, and of course no one will listen."

"I'm sorry," he gave her head a quick kiss, "I know you don't like when that happens."

"What is the point of having these powers when no one is putting them to good use?"

"I don't know," Lucas answered. "Maybe one day they will actually start listening to you."

"That'll be the day," Nikki scoffed before turning to look at Mike who was looking at Lucas impatiently. "I think you better go distract Max, or Mike is going to lose it."

Lucas laughed and gave her one last kiss. "Okay, wish me luck."

"Good luck," she whispered.

As soon Lucas got Max distracted, Mike sat next to El just a few seats down from Nikki. He looked at Nikki and Will with a pleading look. Nikki, getting the hint, stood up and brought Will with her to look through some of the magazines.

"Hey, Nikki," Will said after a brief moment of uncomfortable silence.

"Yeah," Nikki looked up at him.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry," Will said with guilt on written on his face. Nikki raised an eyebrow as he continued. "You wanted to tell the others about your feeling on the hill, I stopped you. It's my fault we didn't start worrying about this sooner. I'm sorry."

"We both didn't know what we were up against," Nikki shrugged. "And it's not your fault. Let's just worry about this right now and forget that even happened."

Will nodded, though she could tell he still felt bad. She didn't get enough time to reassure him however, due to the lights starting to flicker making them both look up.

Nikki felt the pit worsen as Will ran his hand over the back of his neck.

"Nikki? Will?" someone asked behind them.

They turned to the group that was looking at them, waiting to hear the worse possible news.

"He's here."

Authors note

Little bit of a shorter chapter today. Don't worry, though! I'll be back tomorrow with another chapter!

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️