The Bite (Part 3)

"All right, here we go," Lucas smiled as he grabbed a cart for the fireworks.

"Great," Nikki tried to smile, but it didn't seem to convince Lucas that everything was fine.

"What's going on?" Lucas asked her as they started to walk back to where Will was waiting for them. "You haven't been yourself since you helped El with Billy."

"I don't know," Nikki shrugged, struggling to figure out how the put the words she wanted to say in a sentence. "There's just been a lot going on at once, I guess. I really wanted this kind of stuff to end and..."

Her voice refused to keep talking as a flash of the picture of the person standing in front of the monster came into her mind.

"And?" Lucas wanted her to continue as they stopped. He could that she was holding information back from him.

"I think," Nikki's voice croaked as she thought more about the images floating in her head. "I think I've seen this before."

Nikki watched as Lucas's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "What? What do you mean 'seen this before'?"

"I mean, I've seen this day before," Nikki admitted before stepping closer to Lucas and bringing her voice down to a whisper. "A few months ago, I had this dream that was little flashes of things that made no sense. I've had weird dreams before in the past and nothing happened from them, so I forgot about it. But now those visions I had are starting to come true. I thought I was having deja vu moments until I helped El. The images came to me and some of them already happened, like the rats and the Mind Flayer going down the drain. Then, there's the others that haven't happened yet."

"What are the others?" Lucas asked, feeling his heart race as Nikki turned to see if others were around.

"Some of them don't make sense," she started before explaining further. "Like there's a laser shooting at a wall, there's a car that's on fire and someone's in it, and then...there's a monster and a person in front of it, screaming."

"What does it mean?"

"I don't know," Nikki sighed, frustrated that her gut could give her warnings but not answers to her questions. "But everything is happening now, and I haven't felt normal since we went to the movie a few days ago. And everything just keeps on getting worse. I've been feeling like something's going to happen and when something does, it doesn't go away. It just keeps building."

Nikki tried to blink back the tears that stung her eyes as Lucas pulled her into a hug.

"I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you," Lucas said as he held on tightly to Nikki, not wanting to let her go.

"It's not your fault," she sniffled. "I don't even know how to help myself. I can't expect you to know the answers to everything."

They pulled out of their hug and Nikki dried her eyes, feeling a little better to talk about the things that have been waiting her down.

She turned back to Lucas and gave him a little smile. "Let's go. Will's still waiting for us."

***

The group gathered around El as she sat with a bandana over her eyes, looking in void for Dustin. As Lucas, Nikki and Will were piling as much fireworks as possible into their shopping cart, Dustin had gotten through to Mike on his radio and started to freak out to him. However, before Mike could understand what Dustin was saying, the line went dead.

Now, they all sat quietly, waiting for El to say something or tell them what to do.

At least they were until Lucas found a Coca-Cola and decided it was a good time to have a drink.

The sound of the can opening was very loud due to the heavy silence that was around them.

"Quiet," Max scolded him, as Nikki lightly nudged him as a warning.

"Oh, sorry," Lucas whispered, before taking a drink from it, gaining grossed out looks from Mike and Will.

"How you even drink that?" Mike said with disgust laced in his voice.

"Because it's delicious," Lucas shrugged.

"What?" Mike and Max looked at him like he was crazy. Nikki looked at the can confused on why Mike and Max had that bad of a reaction to it.

"It's like Carpenter's The Thing," he explained. "The original is a classic, no question about it. But the remake..." He took  another long sip of it, slurping loudly and sighed happily. "Sweeter, bolder, better."

Nikki bit back her laughter at her boyfriend's ridiculousness and her friend's disgusted looks they were shooting at him.

Mike shook his head in disapproval. "You're insane."

"So, you prefer the original Thing?"

"What? No, I'm not talking about The Thing, I'm talking about New Coke."

"It's the same concept, dude."

"Uh, actually, it's not the same concept."

"It is the same concept."

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

"Hey," El's voice made everyone around her jump since they forgot what they were originally doing.

"Sorry," Mike said  quickly.

"Sorry," Lucas also  apologized.

El gave the boys a slight glare as a small silence started to take over them.

"Did you...find him?" Mike asked, awkwardly, earning a nod from El.

"He's at the movies."

***

"The movies?" Lucas asked for the hundredth time in the past five minutes. Nikki walked beside him as he pushed the cart full of fireworks towards the exit. "Dustin's so freaked out about the gate, he decides to go watch a movie? Yeah, makes total sense."

"You're positive he said 'gate' and not 'great'?" Max asked El and Mike, who were the only ones who were around when Dustin tried to contact them.

"Yeah," Nikki agreed, just wanting this to be over with. "Maybe he said 'This movie I'm watching is great.'"

"Sounded like gate," El responded from Mike's side.

"Which would explain how the Mind Flayer's still alive,' Mike added.

"Yeah, we just have to shut it again," Nancy nodded.

"Then the monster dies," Will said.

"But if not," Max helped Lucas get the shopping cart out of the broken door, "we always have Lucas's fireworks."

"Keep mocking my plan, Max," Lucas sent her a daring look. "Keep mocking it. I wanna her you say it again, because you keep doubting me. You keep doubting me! Nikki, does this seem like a bad plan?" 

Nikki looked at the fireworks before turning to him, who was waiting for a reply. "It doesn't seem like a terrible one."

Lucas turned back to Max with an 'I knew it' look. "Ha!" He laughed loudly as they got to the car.

"I win!"

Authors note

Hey guys! I hoped you like the chapter, I had a lot of fun writing it.

Also, don't forget to vote for the outcome of the book. I haven't started writing the last episode yet because I want people to have enough time to see it and get their say.

So far I only have four votes, so please let me know what you want to happen, okay?

Love ya!!❤️❤️❤️