Chapter Seven

NATASHA POV

I looked back at Liliya as I carefully landed the jet onto the launch pad. My eyes accidentally met Steve's. He looked at me with a blank expression. I sighed and turned back to face the wheel. I turned everything off and got out of the pilot's seat, making my way to the back of the plane.

"A word, Steve?" I asked as I walked by. He nodded and followed me over to the side.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you-" I began to say before he stopped me, laying his hand on my shoulder gently.

"I understand why you didn't Nat, it was a painful part of you past. I get it. I was just a little surprised that's all," he explained, taking my hands in his. Relief washed over me as he pulled me into an affectionate hug. I deeply exhaled against his chest.

"Thank you Steve," I said against him. He pulled back and flashed a bright smile that instantly melted me. He turned to face Liliya for a moment and then looked at me again.

"She's beautiful," he said, "I suppose she gets that from you."

I blushed, nervous heat filling my face. I fell into his chest again and let out a deep breath. I felt safe in his arms. I eventually pulled away and looked at Liliya with a smile.

"Go Nat- we're good," Steve assured me. I smiled and walked over to her.

"Where did you take me?" She asked me as Sam and Bucky carefully lifted her onto a gurney.

"We're at the Avenger's Compound- our home," I explain following them out. She nodded, taking in the scene. As we wheeled her inside, a look of worry took over her face. Bucky and Sam noticed, nodded at me, and walked out of the room.

"Hey, what is it?" I asked, walking over to her side. She quickly shook her head and avoided my eyes. Worried, I took her hand in mine only for her to instantly pull away.

My heart sank.

"Liliya, talk to me," I said, watching as her composure fell for a moment.

"Natasha right?" She asked, her bright eyes turning to face me again. I wasn't sure why this bothered me, but for some reason her question saddened me. I pushed the feeling aside. I smiled and nodded "yes."

"I'm scared Natasha," she whispered. I exhaled and nodded my head. What was I supposed to say to that? I inched closer to her side and gathered the right words.

"You're safe with us- with me. I promise," I reassured her, watching as she fumbled with a piece of her dark red hair. The long, scarlet waves of her hair lightly brushed against my hand. She shook her head, her eyes still transfixed on the strand in her hands.

"You said that Dreykov found us once, what makes you think he won't again?" She asked, turning her head to face me. I rested my hands on the railing of the gurney.

"I was alone with you- young and in the middle of nowhere. I'm a lot more prepared now than I was back then. Plus- you're literally in a compound base filled with super heroes," I smile, trying my best to lighten the mood a bit- to make her feel slightly better. She nodded once and went back to fidgeting with her hair. I sighed and sat down in a chair beside her.

"Why did you stop looking for me?" She asked casually, taking me by surprise. I sat up and tilted my head.

"What?"

"Why did you stop looking for me?" She asked again, still avoiding my eyes.

"You say you cared- that I was important to you. So why did you stop looking?"

It felt as if someone took all the words from my brain- like someone tore my heart in half.

"I thought you were dead Lil- the moment you were taken from me I did nothing but try to find you again." Emotion filled my words, causing me to lightly stutter.

"I spent over year trying to track down the Red Room so I could find you," I explained, using all of my strength to stay calm. She didn't say a word.

"Once I finally found the Red Room again, Dreykov informed me that I was too late. That you didn't make through your first week of training. Liliya- he took me to see you-" I stood up and walked back over to her side.

"I saw your body. He must have disguised another child that he killed to look like you but- I was too shocked and brokenhearted to think rationally about anything other than the freezing body of my little girl lying in front of me."

She finally looked up at me. I didn't want her to see me cry, so I quickly turned away and faced the wall, taking in deep, shaky breaths.

"I'm sorry," she quietly said. I turned and knelt beside her.

"You have nothing to be sorry for- There's nothing I regret more," I said, watching as she slowly inched her pale hand towards mine. I froze and watched as she slowly and carefully interlaced her fingers with mine. Her hand was so cold against my skin. I tightly squeezed her hand and pulled it up to my face, kissing it.

And for a moment, everything felt right.