Chapter Eleven

NATASHA POV

I looked down the road and Yelena drove. My eyes traced the green hills as we drove through the grassy plains. 

"You're sure she's here?" I asked, sitting in my chair straight again and putting my feet on the dash. 

"Absolutely. 75% sure," she mumbled as she took a turn. I sat up and glared at her.

"What?!"

"Relax Natasha I'm joking. Yes I'm sure she's here," she laughed. I frowned and laid back. 

"How much longer?" I asked, pulling a bag of pretzels out of the glove compartment. She checked her phone. 

"2 hours," she said, reaching out her hand for my snacks. I look back out at the hills as I dumped some of the pretzels into her hand.

I sighed, thinking about Liliya, worrying if she was safe. 

This was taking forever. 

Liliya POV

"Thank you sir," I nervously thanked the elderly truck driver. He glanced over at me and flashed me a toothy grin. 

"Of course hun. Where to?" he asked, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. He offered me one, to which I declined. This was not the time for a smoke. 

I had to focus on getting back home.

"Uh, just the nearest town would be perfect," I said, the pain in my leg growing. I feared that being in the woods for the last day could have possibly given me an infection. 

I pushed away the worry and watched the trees pass beside me. The dark, misty green forest surrounded my mind as we sped down the lonely highway. 

Minutes felt like hours as we made our way through the woods. I thought about a lot while riding with the kind old man. I thought about the Red Room. I thought about Dreykov. I thought about the other widows back home. 

But mostly, I thought about Natasha Romanoff. 

For reasons I could not understand, the thought of her flooded my mind, and I couldn't seem to shake it. I mean, she was my mother. I wanted in that moment to understand why she did what she did to me. After a while, the thought of my abandonment angered me. 

"On second thought, I'll take that smoke," I mumbled to the man. He smiled again, handing me the pack and an vintage looking lighter. I place the cigarette between my teeth and ignite the lighter, the orange flame lighting the paper. I inhaled deeply, allowing it to fill my lungs. 

To take the pain away. 

I breathed out with a light cough. The man laughed. 

"First time?" He asked, taking back his pack and his lighter. I half smiled and nodded. I took another puff and let it go, doing my absolute best to think about anything but her. 

But it was as if I couldn't control my own mind. I looked out into the mist for the next mile marker sign. After a moment of squinting into distance I saw it. 

This was taking forever. 

NATASHA POV

We finally pulled into the gravel driveway of the small farm house. I opened the car's door quickly and speed walked to the door. Yelena quickly followed. 

I knocked, my heart racing. 

"Please be here," I begged to myself. I heard footsteps approach, pause, and then open the door. I saw Melina's smile through the screen. I grinned back.

"Hello girls, it's so great to see both of you again," she greeted, pulling us both into a hug. After pulling away, I followed Yelena inside. 

It was a homey little place. Warm yellow light filled the room, giving it a warm feel. Pictures of our years in Ohio covered the cream colored walls. 

I walked around, viewing each image, thinking about the past. Memories flooded back with each photograph. 

"Do you have it?" I heard Yelena ask from the kitchen. 

"Of course," Melina replied as I walked into the room with them. She looked at me and walked out into the hall. I watched as she went into the closet, yanking up a board from the floor. She pulled up a silver briefcase from below. She replaced the board and returned to the kitchen.

"Here you go," she said, opening the case and handing us a few vials of red dust. I took one in between my fingers, tipping it back and forth, watching the scarlet red liquid flow inside. 

Melina took my other hand into hers. I looked up and met her eyes. 

"You'll get her back Natasha," Melina reassured me, "and I expect to meet her when you do." She offered me a reassuring nod. I grinned. 

"Of course, thank you so much for this," I said as she pulled me into another hug. After a few moments she pulled away and looked at the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. 

"Would you like to stay for dinner? Before driving home?" She asked, placing the case back in the closet. Yelena looks at me, desire written all over her face. I gave in and nodded my head.

"Of course, thank you."

I walked over to the window and peered out into the distance, wondering where my daughter was. 

And if she was safe.