Chapter Twenty

**NATASHA POV**

I looked into Steve's eyes. They were full of excitement and hope.

"Our first date huh?" I asked with a smirk, sitting down on the bench beside him. He smiled, unpacking the backpack. He pulled out a tablecloth and spread it across the old wooden table, smoothing it out with his hands.

"Hope you're hungry," he smiled as he started to lay out the food he brought.

"I wanted to get to you quickly so I didn't have a lot of time to pack much," he explained as he, one by one, pulled food out and set it down. By the time he was finished, things like sandwiches, fruits, and a cheese platter were all spread across the bright red tablecloth.

"Steve-" I started, "You didn't have to do all this," I blushed, grabbing a cheese cube and tossing it into my mouth. He shook his head and grinned.

"It's really not much Nat," he said, offering me a paper plate from his bag. I took it and started to fill it. As I stacked the snacks and sandwich on my plate, I glanced causally at Steve to see his bright blue eyes watching me.

"Well I didn't get that much to eat Rodgers," I laughed, sarcastically returning some cheese and fruit to the trays. He reached his hand out to stop me.

"No, enjoy your lunch. That's why I brought it." I looked at Steve with question.

"Well then why were you staring at me?" I asked, laying the plate in front of me and grabbing a water bottle. Steve looked down, kicking a rock with his shoe.

"You just- you look really- you look pretty today," he said nervously, his eyes finally meeting mine. I felt a lump in my throat as my heart quickened. Butterflies danced in my stomach. Heat filled my face as he slid his hand towards me, his fingers intertwining with mine.

The warmth of his hand sent a feeling of electricity through my hand. I glanced down, trying to slow my breathing. I looked up again, the heat spreading from my face throughout my whole body. His eyes trailed down to my lips, then back again to my eyes.

"Thank you," I whispered, my eyes locked on his again. With his thumb, Steve gently traced circles on the back of my hand.

It was like I had forgotten how to breathe.

"Is everything ok?" Steve asked caringly, noticing that I had gotten quiet. I broke our eye contact and looked at the grass below.

That was a more complicated question than I think he intended.

"There's just a lot going on, that's all," I tried to explain as a small wave of sadness washed over me. I know he was being sweet, but a part of me was sad that our electric moment was over.

He gave my hand an affectionate squeeze, lifting my chin gently with his other hand to look at him again.

"I understand. And I get it. I'm really sorry about all of this," he said as he raised the hand holding mine to his lips, kissing it softly.

"You two deserve better than this."

I wanted nothing more than to feel the love and comfort that he was offering me, but all I could feel was guilt.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about her," I sighed, feeling my voice break. The feeling of guilt got heavier and heavier with each breath. I could feel my lungs struggle to take in air as I felt myself start to panic. I could feel a burning sensation in the back of my eyes, knowing that tears would soon try to fall.

No crying. Not now.

"Hey, no," he shook his head and gave me a serious look. His eyes thinned as he watched me blink quickly. I could feel the urge to cry get stronger as he watched me. There was a long pause and I assumed he was trying to think of the right thing to say.

It was sweet.

"I understand why you didn't Nat. I really do. And I don't blame you in any way. I can't possibly imagine what you went through when- well whatever happened went down," he said, wiping one of my fallen tears with the back of his hand.

For a moment I froze. I sighed, feeling my heart rate slowly decrease. I took in one breath at a time and focused on his hand holding mine.

And even though it sacred me, I let my walls down, telling him everything.