Chapter Nineteen

NATASHA POV

I sat in the chair and laid my head against the wall. It had been a few days since Yelena and I found Liliya in the motel. I blinked, trying to wake up. I looked around the hospital room, listening to the light beep of the heart monitor. Liliya was still asleep. I quietly stood and tip toed out of the room, trying not to wake her. Once in the hall, I pulled out my phone to see a message from Steve.

I smiled to myself. With everything that had been going on, I hadn't given myself time to process the moment we had the other night.

The moment where he kissed me.

I tapped on his contact and dialed his number, starting my walk down the long hall. He almost instantly picked up.

"Hey, how's she doing?" He asked quickly. I smiled to myself.

"Better, she's sleeping a lot, but that's good you know," I said, getting into the small elevator. I pressed the button to the ground level and felt the slight drop.

"Of course," he said, "are you still at the hospital?"

"Yeah, but I was thinking about going out getting some fresh air," I said as I stepped out of the elevator.

"I'll be there in 10," he said mysteriously before hanging up the phone. I pulled my phone down and looked at the screen with a laugh. I stepped out of the sliding glass doors and took in a deep breath of the fresh air.

I hadn't left Liliya's room in days.

I sent Yelena a quick text, letting her know I would be out for a bit. She responded with a thumbs up.

I was glad to have her with me. She stayed by my side every night in the hospital and helped me with Liliya. Whether she stayed awake when I needed rest or helped get us lunch, she never failed to be there when we needed her.

I wish I could have told her how thankful I was. I don't think I could have possibly done it without her.

I walked around the building and took a seat on a bench. The wind brushed across my face as I breathed it in. I allowed myself to relax for a moment, trying for the first time in days not to worry about Liliya.

"Hey you," I heard Steve say. I opened my eyes and laughed in shock. He was in one of Tony's Audis, sporting a leather jacket and a pair of Ray Bans. He revved the engine with a laugh.

"You are SO cheesy Rodgers," I chucked as I hopped in. He waited for me to buckle my seat belt before speeding away.

"So, where are we going?" I asked, feeling the wind twist and turn in my hair.

"You'll see," he smiled, adjusting the rear view mirror. I rolled my eyes with a laugh and leaned back into the seat.

I could see his hand inch closer to mine out of the corner of my eye. I hesitated for a moment. Should I really be doing this? Now? With him? I sighed to myself.

Slowly, his fingers brushed against mine. I felt a spark when we touched, feeling my heart flutter. He pulled my hand into his. I could see his face light up with a smile.

"What on earth?" I asked as he took a turn onto a gravel road up a tall hill. He shook his head with a grin.

"Just wait," he said as we sped up the hill. We pulled to a stop at the top, the car springing to a stop. He quickly got out and opened my door. I took his hand and got out.

"Where are we?" I asked, walking up the hill more. Steve caught up, carrying a backpack.

"Bucky and I used to come up here when we were younger," he explained, taking my hand as he led me up a small path. We walked up to a small and old looking picnic table.

"We would sneak up here to get away from everything," he said as he set his things on the table.

"The view is incredible," I pointed out, looking down at the bright city below. He nodded his head, looking out at the busy streets way below. I looked over at him, his bright blue eyes reflecting the blue in the afternoon sky.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked, tucking my hair back behind my ears to avoid the wind.

"Well- I figured you could use a break- and this place is really special to me- so I brought our first date here."