Chapter Nine

LILIYA POV

I sprinted as fast as I could away from the gigantic base. I could feel my heart racing against my chest as I turned my head back for a moment, looking at the tall concrete structure. I couldn't stay there. It wasn't safe. 

Dreykov said it wasn't safe. Not with Natasha Romanoff. She betrayed the Widows. Tried to kill Dreykov and murdered his daughter in the process. I didn't care if she was my mother or not. I had to get away as soon as possible. 

I shook away the thoughts about Natasha and ran into the woods. I paused for a moment to catch my breath. My leg was radiating with pain so strong that I felt lightheaded. I leaned back against a large tree, pushing my hand on my upper thigh. Another jolt of pain shot through my leg, causing me to nearly shout. I pulled my hand back up. 

I had to be completely silent.

I could hear the distant sound of shouting voices in the background. I shook my head. 

Why doesn't she just let me go? She had done it before. Why was this time any different? I stood back up and pulled a small communicator out of the front pocket of my cargo pants. 

"Hello? This is Liliya, I'm somewhere in north-eastern America, I need a pick up," I said into the device. 

Nothing but static.

I hit the device in frustration, trying to call again. Again, no response. I clenched my jaw in anger, shoving it back into my pocket. With a deep breath I took off running again, this time not looking back.

NATASHA POV

"She has to be around here somewhere, she has an injured leg," I argued to Steve. He shook his head in disagreement. 

"If she's anything like you, she could tough something like that out. If she were desperate enough."

I shot him an angry look. I turned around with a sigh and started walking towards the woods again. 

"She's scared Nat, she probably took off to find the Red Room," Steve shouted, "It's all she knows, she can't help it."

I stopped in my tracks and spun around. 

"She can't help it," I said, staring at the ground in thought. Steve shot me a questionable look. I pull out my phone and quickly scroll through my contacts. I tap on my sister's name and impatiently wait as the phone rung. 

"Natasha? Are you ok?"

I sighed a breath of relief. 

"Yelena thank god," I said, watching as Steve walked closer to me. 

"What is it? What's wrong?" She asked, her nervous tone evident through the phone. 

"It's Liliya."

The other end of the line went silent. I looked at Steve with worry.

"Yelena?" I ask, turning up the volume on my phone.

"You said that she was dead," Yelena spoke slowly. I shook my head.

"I thought she was. Dreykov lied, as usual." I sat on the lawn, holding the phone with one hand and pulling up blades of grass with the other. I could hear her sigh. 

"What do you need me to do?" She asked without hesitation. 

"We found her in Belarus yesterday, but this morning she wasn't in her bed," I explained, twisting the grass between my fingers. 

"Is there any way that her mind is being controlled? Like yours was?" I asked. She took a moment to reply.

"It's more than likely, yes," she explained, "but I don't have access to any red dust."

"Do you think Melina could have some?" I asked, dropping the grass and standing back up.

"Maybe, I really don't know. Where are you now?" 

"The Avenger's Compound," I said, blocking the sun with my hand and squinting

"I'll catch a plane and be there by tomorrow. Just don't do anything reckless until I get there," she ordered, the sound of shuffling nearly overtaking her voice. I assumed she was already packing. 

"Yelena you don't have to come-"

"You'd do it for me, wouldn't you?" She interrupted. I shook my head, not able to help but smile a bit.

"You know it," I laughed. She laughed too, lightly snorting, which only made me laugh harder. Yelena always helped, even when she wasn't trying. There was just something about her that could brighten up the darkest room. It was one of the many reasons why I loved her. 

"I'll see you tomorrow Natasha," she said. I whistled, grinning as she returned the gesture. I ended the call and looked at Steve. Without words, he pulled me into a tight embrace. I resisted at first, but eventually allowed it to consume me. I held him close, feeling as if my fears were melting at his warmth. He pulled back and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. 

"We'll get her back Nat. We'll fix this."

I nod my head, showing him a smile.

But as much as I wanted to, didn't believe him.