Chapter Fifteen

LILIYA POV

I laid on the bed, feeling my heart racing in my chest. The excruciating pain in my leg radiated throughout my entire body.

I felt sweat bead up on my forehead as chills from the pain spread up my back and to my neck. I slowly removed my pants and sat up carefully to look at the wound.

I gasped as I saw how bad it looked. There was no way that this was normal. I blew on it, feeling the cool from my breath against my thigh. It burned. I bit my lower lip and tightly closed my eyes from the pain.

I searched around the small room for something, anything that could help. I saw a mini fridge across from the bed I was on.

I took in a deep breath before standing up. Pain shot down my leg as I carefully put weight on it. I grabbed the railing of the bed for support. I slowly made my way across the room, crouching down in front of the fridge. I opened it, hoping that it would contain something that could help. Mini alcohol bottles, cold water, anything.

But it was completely empty.

I slammed the door and laid back against the floor. I felt nauseous as I stared up. I squinted, seeing that the old popcorn ceiling was blurry and spinning. I fought the unconsciousness as best as I could.

But as hard as I tried, a wave of cold washed over me as the black took over.

NATASHA POV

I tapped my foot impatiently as Yelena drove us to the motel's location. I looked out the window at the dark green trees in the surrounding forest. A million thoughts rushed through my head as we sped down the highway.

Was she there? Did Dreykov find her first? Was she hurt? The questions swirled through my head, making me slightly dizzy. Yelena hummed to herself as she got into the left lane.

"How are you so calm?" I asked as she sped the car up. She raised an eyebrow and looked at me.

"Well I really believe that she is in here," she explained, "and I also know that we have the red dust to cure her from Dreykov's control." I watched as she tapped her finger on the wheel.

"But you're also a mother, and that's a perspective I don't have," she sighed.

I felt bad for Yelena. I didn't know if she wanted kids and I knew better than to ask. I secretly feared that she resented me for being able to have a daughter when the rest of the widows never had the chance.

And they never would. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't shake that guilt. So I did my best not to talk about it.

I sighed and bit my cheek as she took the exit. I watched as the flickering streetlights dimly lit the road.

"Hey, she'll be here Natasha, don't worry," she reassured me as she looked down the road for the hotel. I clenched my jaw and started fiddling with a straw wrapper I found in the floorboard.

"What if she's not," I sighed, leaning my head back. Yelena took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"She will be."

I nodded my head, not wanting to admit how much I doubted it. Her optimism was helping and I didn't want to ruin it.

I looked down the road and saw the flickering neon sign of the motel. I heart dropped with nerves.

"There," I pointed as Yelena pulled into the parking lot. I quickly got out of the car, slammed the door, and looked around the area. A feeling of unease filled my mind. It was dark and quiet.

Too quiet.

"I'll ask the guy at the desk for the room number," Yelena said as she jogged inside. I leaned against the car and placed my hands on top of my head. I took in a deep breath of the cold air, hearing my heartbeat against my chest. I hands were shaking and I pulled the red dust out of my pocket.

I looked up at the rooms, hoping and praying that she was in one of them.

"Room 205," Yelena said walking out, tossing me a small bronze key. I nodded as I ran up the stairs, checking the numbers on each door.

"203, 204, here it is, 205," I said, shoving the key into the lock. I froze for a second. I felt Yelena place her hand on my back. I exhaled and turned the key, pushing the door open.