Chapter Fourteen

NATASHA POV

I got out of the car and stretched my arms above my head. We were finally back after driving for what felt like an eternity. I saw Yelena stumble out and do the same. She offered me a tired looking grin.

"Mind if I stay here?" She asked asked as we carried our bags inside. I laugh and playfully shoved her side. 

"You don't even have to ask, you know better." 

She grinned, dropped her bags, and pulled me into a tight and unexpected hug. I held her close, her warmth providing a sense of calmness. It was nice. After pulling away I helped her upstairs and showed her to an unoccupied, yet furnished, bedroom. She stopped in the doorway for a moment. She sat her things aside and plopped down on the bed. 

"This is so cool," she said sitting up. I sat next to her with a smile. 

"Tony likes to keep extra rooms ready just in case," I explained as I looked around the room. It was very dull. The walls were an eggshell white and bare from any decoration. In a way it was actually relaxing. Yelena nodded her head. 

"So, what's the plan," Yelena asked me as she fluffed one of the pillows. I stared at the white wall, thinking about it for a moment. I shrugged.

"No idea," I exhaled deeply. She frowned and took out her phone. She scrolled for a moment and looked back up at me. She turned her phone to show me a map of the area. 

"She can't be far right? I mean you said she was injured- and she doesn't have a vehicle of any kind," Yelena muttered as she offered me the phone. I took it and scanned the small map, looking at every detail. I sighed and handed her phone back. 

"She could have gone the other way Yelena. She could have gone to the airport and tried to sneak onto a plane back to Russia. Or, the highway is 2 miles through the forest. She could have gotten a ride somewhere," I explained pointing to different parts of the screen. I sat her phone in her lap and laid back against the comforter with a sigh. 

"I can't believe this is happening again," I whispered, my voice breaking. Yelena laid back and turned her head to face me. 

"This time is different though, because this time you're going to get her back," she reassured me, taking my hand and giving it an affectionate squeeze. 

"This time she gets to come home."

I nodded my head and sat back up. She sat up with me and I laid my head on her shoulder. 

"What if her leg is worse? Maybe she would check into a hospital? Should we call the ones close to us?" I asked with a mixture of hope and worry in my tone. Yelena frowned and shook her head.

"She's terrified- and on the run. I doubt that she would. We were taught to stay discreet. But, if she is worse, then she is probably going to stay put for a little. Or, it may slow her down," Yelena thought out loud. I shook my head and took out my phone, starting to call different hospitals in the area anyway. 

Yelena sat in silence as I tried several different hospitals in the area, each one informing me that they had no such girl in their emergency rooms. With each call I got more frustrated. I looked at Yelena, who appeared to be deep in thought. 

After calling the 5th hospital I angrily threw my phone across the room into a chair. It fell innocently into the cushion. Full of fear and rage, I stood up and started to pace across the small room. Yelena remained silent. 

"Why are you being so quiet? Do you have something?" I asked, freezing in front of the bed. 

"Call the motels off of the interstate," she said, finally looking at me. I exhaled and sat on the bed. 

"Why?" I asked, pulling up a list of local motels on my phone. 

"Well, on one of my last missions with the Red Room I was given a fake ID, credit cards, and other resources in order to get a hotel, purchase food, and other things- you know. If he is still running his operations the same as he was when I was there, then its more than likely that she had access to those same resources that I did. And after walking for miles on a bum leg, where do you think a scared and injured teenage girl would go?" She explained, her eyes not once leaving mine. 

"A hotel," I said, finally understanding. I quickly start to dial the first hotel as Yelena did the same. 

"Hello? Yes, did a young red-headed girl check in at your motel within the last day?" I desperately asked. 

"Uh, yeah. Last night. You know her? She claimed to be 18 but she looked way younger," an old sounding man mumbled across the line. I patted Yelena's leg and put the phone on speaker. 

"What's the address to your place?" I politely asked as Yelena opened the note app on her phone. She quickly typed down the address that the man told us.

"Thank you sir," I said before hanging up the call. I look at her, out of breath from the anxiety I felt. Yelena grabbed my shoulders and looked into my eyes. 

"We found her Natasha. We're bringing her home."