Chaper Eight

NATASHA POV

I woke up sitting in the chair next to Liliya's bed. I sat up, stretching my arms out. My neck felt stiff from sleeping in the chair for so long.

I didn't want to leave her alone on her first night here.

"Good morning," I said softly, slowly standing up with a yawn. I looked over to see that she was still sound asleep. A grin spread on my face. I stopped, trying my best to be as quiet as possible.

I wasn't too surprised; I knew that she had to be absolutely exhausted from the events of the day before. I quietly stepped out of the room and into the hallway, resting my back against the cool wall. I let out a long, drawn out sigh.

It still didn't feel real. I felt as if I were in a dream- terrified that it would shift into a nightmare.

"Nat," I head Wanda say as she walked towards me.

"How's she doing?"

"She's asleep," I said looking at her with a shrug. A sympathetic smile spread on her face.

"And you?" She asked, gently pulling me by the arm to a set of chairs across the hall. I shrugged again. I didn't want to lie to Wanda- I just genuinely didn't know.

"I get it," she added, offering me her hand. I hesitated, then took it. She smiled, her nose scrunching up. It made me giggle.

"Is there anything I can do?" She asked, sitting up in her chair. I stared at the wall and shook my head, staring to zone out.

"You could tell me what to do, how to handle all of this," I said, my eyes losing focus.

"I can't- but I can tell you this. She needs you."

I came back from my daze and turned to face Wanda. I could feel the sharp sting of tears in my eyes.

No crying.

I shook it off and sighed.

"I don't know what I'm doing," I whispered. I knew Wanda heard me. She could hear everything- even my thoughts.

"Most don't. And that's ok," she said sweetly, getting up from her chair and crouching down in front of me. She gently placed her hands on my knees and looked up into my eyes.

"That girl in there needs you."

I shook my head. I wanted so badly to be what she needed- but fear of failing again overtook my mind. I laid my hands on top of Wanda's.

"I know. I'm trying," I mumbled, sitting back into the chair deeper, closing my eyes.

"That's what counts Nat," I heard a voice say. A voice I knew well, a voice that made me smile.

"Thank you guys," I say, turning my head to look at Steve. His bright blue eyes looked back at me. He offered me a reassuring nod, laying his hand on my shoulder. I took in the moment, feeling as the fears lightly melted.

But not all the way.

I stood and smiled at them. Wanda stood too, pulling me into a tight hug. I held her back, my eyes catching Steve's. He smiled and nodded. I pulled away and exhaled.

"I'm going to go back in there," I said, feeling a nervous wave of nausea hit.

"You've got this," Wanda said with a wink. I smiled, turning from them and going back to Liliya's room. I started to reach for the door's handle but stopped myself.

Why was I so nervous this time?

I sighed, collecting my thoughts and grabbing the handle. I pull the door open.

But she was gone.

I burst into the room, frantically looking around. I could feel my heart pounding against my chest.

"Don't freak out yet," I told myself.

I saw her IV innocently dangle from the IV pole beside her bed. I walked over to it, picking it up and twisting it in my hands.

She was gone.

I dropped the IV and sprinted out of the room.

"Wanda? Steve?" I shouted as I ran down the hall. Without paying attention I ran smack into Steve, causing both of us to fly backwards. I cracked into the floor, a sharp pain in my hip causing me to grimace. I sat up, out of breath.

"Nat? Are you ok? What's going on?" Steve asked, obviously startled.

"I- I'm sorry- she- she's not in her room," I stumbled, quickly standing up and looking around. It felt as if everything were spinning around me, making me dizzy.

"What?" He asked, deep concern filling his words. I shook my head and walked past him. Wanda rounded the corner, her eyes wide.

"Wanda," my voice breaks. She didn't speak. Her expression worried me. She had to know something- she always did.

"What is it? Wanda?" I stutter, feeling my emotional walls crumble with every breath.

"I- I don't know- she's not here-" Wanda muttered, her focus distant.

And just like that, everything crumbled around me like a wall of sand, allowing for the daunting waves of fear to crash into me again.