Chapter Twelve

LILIYA POV

The truck pulled to a shaky stop at a small looking diner at the entrance of a small town. It was dark, but the neon "open" sign on the restaurant was glowing into the night. 

"Thank you sir," I said as I got out of his truck. 

"Been a pleasure miss," he smiled, driving away. I watched as the old truck got back on the highway and sped away. I turned to face the diner and slowly walked towards the door. I pushed it open and looked around the inside. 

It was 1950's themed. Bright turquoise blue paint covered the poster filled walls. Photographs of vintage cars and old singers were stacked on top of each other along the walls. A friendly looking waitress stopped at the counter, holding a coffee pot. 

"Just choose any seat you like hun," she sweetly said as she took the coffee to a man across the diner. I slowly walked to a bright red booth and sat down. It wasn't long before the lady returned to me. 

"What can I get you baby?"

I stared at the large golden hoop earrings she was wearing. 

"Coffee and a BLT please," I asked. She smiled and walked back behind the counter to get a mug. She returned and poured coffee into the mug. I quickly took a sip, the warmth filling my body. As I leaned back into the booth someone sat across from me. 

"You're a long ways from home aren't you?"

I stared at the man in front of me. He was tall and slender with short hair and a light beard. He removed his sunglasses and set them in front of me. I could see in his eyes that he meant business. I didn't say anything. 

"You're Liliya Romanoff, correct?" He asked, waving the waitress over.

"Another cup of coffee please," he asked. I stared at his navy blue tie as he adjusted it. I nodded my head in response. 

"Good," he said pulling out a yellow envelope and setting it on the counter. He slid it across the table towards me. The waitress returned with the man's coffee, briefly eyeing the folder on the table before walking away. 

"What is this?" I asked, pulling the seal off and opening it. 

"It's from Dreykov," he said causally, taking a long sip of his drink. I froze. 

"He knows I'm here?" I asked with shock, pulling the paper and photographs out one by one. 

"He knows everything, kid," he mumbled. He picked up a note and placed it on top. 

"He wants you to stay here. To keep tabs on the Avengers," he explained. I read the letter of instruction to myself slowly. 

"I can't, I already ran away," I told him, shoving the pages back to him. He chuckled and sat his mug down. 

"You can and you will," he demanded, shoving them back at me. I put everything back in the yellow envelope and placed it beside me in my seat. 

"How am I supposed to do that?" I asked him, watching as he put his shades back on. 

"Just play mama's girl until we contact you again," he said, pulling out a burner phone from his jacket pocket. I reluctantly took it. 

"Good night," he said, laying a 20 dollar bill on the table, "this one's on me."

I watched as he walked out the glass door and into the dark of the night. I turned the phone over in my hands as the waitress brought me my sandwich. 

"Was that man bothering you hun?" She asked with a concerned look on her face.

I shook my head.

"No ma'am. Just an old friend saying hello," I explained, shoving the phone into my pants pocket. She nodded her head once and walked away. I picked up the sandwich and ate it quickly. I was absolutely starving. 

After finishing each crumb off the plate I paid the woman and tipped her what was left. 

"Have a blessed evening, stay safe," she grinned. I nodded and went out the door. I turned right and started walking along the side of the main road, looking for a place to stay. I opened the envelope again, pulling out a credit card and a fake ID. 

As I looked at the ID, I wondered if I really looked old enough to be 18. I shook my head and put the cards in my pocket. After walking for about an hour I came across a small motel. My leg ached as I sighed with exhausted relief. I crossed the street and entered the lobby. 

"One room please," I said to the man behind the counter. He blew a puff of smoke from his cigarette the other way and looked at me.

"You got some ID miss?" he coughed, more smoke coming from his mouth and hitting me in the nose. I lightly coughed. I half-grinned and placed the ID and credit card on the counter. He shrugged and swiped the card before handing me a small bronze key. 

"Room 205. No parties or we'll have to kick you out," he mumbled, spinning in his chair and putting the cigarette back into his mouth. 

"Got it," I said as I went back outside and climbed the stairs. I shoved the key in the lock and opened the door.

I walked inside, locked the door, and collapsed on the bed in exhaustion.

As I laid there, I realized that the pain in my leg was getting harder and harder to ignore.