Chapter Thirteen

NATASHA POV

After sharing a meal with Melina, Yelena and I got back in the car and started our long drive back home. As I drove down the long country roads I thought about the 3 years I had with Liliya. How perfect everything had been. 

But most of all, how it all came crashing down in a matter of minutes. 

***FLASHBACK***

NATASHA POV

I sat on the edge of the small bed in the trailer. It was early; the sun had just started to rise. I got up, started a pot of coffee, and got back in bed. 

"Mama?" 

I smiled. I sat up and saw Liliya standing in the small doorway. I watched with a smile as she ran to the bed and tried to hop up. With a laugh I pulled her up into my arms. 

"Good morning princess," I said, smoothing her short hair back. Her bright eyes looked up at me. 

"Mama I made you something," she jumped, excited. She slid off the bed and pulled me into the kitchen. I shook my head with a smile and followed. 

I sat at the small table as she handed me a piece of paper, the biggest grin on her little face. I took the page and laid it down on the table, examining it. My heart felt full as I looked at the drawing. 

It featured Liliya and me, holding hands, standing in a grassy field with a big yellow sun in the corner. Flowers filled the ground and birds flew in the bright blue sky. The entire page was filled with vibrant color. 

"Is this us?" I asked, pointing to the cute little stick figures on the page. She smiled, nodding quickly.

"Yeah its me and you and we're playing outside," she explained, taking the paper and pointing at the flowers. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. 

"It's lovely baby," I told her, pinching her cheek. She giggled and handed me the drawing again. 

"It's for you mommy."

I kissed her forehead and took the paper over to the small fridge, pinning it up with a magnet. 

"Now we can look at it everyday," I tell her, picking her up and setting her against my hip. She laid her head against my shoulder. 

"You sleepy?" I asked, walking to the bedroom. I felt her nod against me. I laid her on my bed and tucked her in. 

"See you in a minute baby," I said, kissing the top of her head. I left, cracking the door. I walked back into the kitchen and poured my coffee. I exhaled as I took a long sip, looking out the small back window. I sat at the table again, drinking my coffee and reading a book. 

Then I heard a knock at the door. 

I didn't hesitate to go back to my room and shut the door. I crept over to the front, peeking out the front window. 

And there stood Dreykov himself. 

I froze. My heart sank and fear took over my whole body. I heard another knock, this time louder. I couldn't breathe. 

"We know you're in there Natasha," I heard Dreykov's familiar voice shout from outside. I grabbed a knife from the drawer and sneaked closer to the door. 

"Do it, Taskmaster," I heard him say. I jumped back before a strangely dressed soldier slammed through the door. She landed on top of me, pinning me down. I forcefully flipped her over and placed the knife against her throat. She froze. 

"There's no need for this violence Natasha," Dreykov said as he walked in. 

"You've grown up since I've seen you. Since you broke our deal."

I kept the knife pushed against her neck. 

"Since I left with MY daughter? You didn't really give me a choice," I argued in disgust. He glared at me through his thick glasses. 

"Where is she Natasha?" He said, crouching down to my level. I shook my head. 

"You can go to hell," I spat. He shook his head. 

"Mommy?"

I felt my heart sink into my stomach as I turned my head. Liliya stood in the door frame of my room, staring at me with confusion. Dreykov chuckled. 

"Well hello little one," he said standing and approaching her. She started to back up in fear, her eyes still locked to mine. 

"I swear to god if you touch her I'll kill you," I threatened, pushing the knife against her neck harder. 

"Restrain her," he ordered as he approached Liliya closer. My attention focused on Dreykov, the girl beneath me flipped me over and knocked the knife out of my hand. I gasped, taken completely by surprise. She put her knees on my wrists and her hands around my throat. 

I heard Liliya scream as Dreykov roughly picked her up. My lungs screamed for air and my eyes burned with tears. 

"Please," I choked out. Dreykov froze and shook his head. 

"You abandoned us Natasha. Turned your back on your family. We're just taking a piece of that family back. This is goodbye Natasha. You won't hear from us again. I think I'm being more than fair, letting you go. Don't make me regret this," he said as he stormed out of the door. 

I forced my head to turn and watch as Dreykov boarded a helicopter, pulling my daughter with him. I could see her squirming and struggling against him. I struggled against the Taskmaster as I tried to scream for her. 

And then, after a lack of air, everything faded to black. 

I woke up on the floor, my throat on fire from screaming. I held my neck and scrambled to my feet. I flew out the door and frantically looked around. 

I fell to my knees and screamed my heart out into the open air. I felt like throwing up as I struggled to breathe. 

I was alone. And my girl was gone.