Chapter Ten

NATASHA POV

I smiled as I ran into Yelena's arms. I hadn't seen her in what felt like a lifetime. She held me close, my heart feeling a sense of momentary happiness. 

But it ended when I remembered why she was here. 

She pulled away and looked at me. Her face said a million things all at once. She pulled me back into the compound and into the kitchen. I took a seat at one of the bar stools and she went to the refrigerator. 

"So your daughter is alive. You know I've always wanted a niece," Yelena chuckles as she rummaged through the fridge. I rolled my eyes. 

I watched as she pulled out a pizza box, a bag of chips from the pantry, and a beer. I stared at her in awe.

"What's with the judgement? The plane was out of peanuts," she justified, opening the pizza box and picking up a slice. She offered me one, to which I shook my head. 

"Suit yourself," she mumbles with her mouth full. I look away and stare out the window. Yelena set the food down and sat by me. 

"We're going to get her back Natasha, trust me. Since when has a plan of ours failed?" She smiled at me. I shook my head.

"We don't even have a plan," I said playing with the clip from the chip bag. 

"Of course we do. We call Melina, get the red dust, track down Liliya, and then free her," she listed with optimism. 

"That is not a plan, that's the goal. Do you even know where Melina is? Or how to find Liliya? Or if she even has any red dust?" I argued. Yelena went silent. 

"Look I'm sorry- I just really need to find her," I apologized, taking her hand in mine. She squeezed it back. 

"I know, we will find her. And, to counter-argue against a few of your points- I know where Melina is. She should have the red dust because I asked her to make me some more about 4 months ago. And as far as finding her, you have Stark on your side. And an entire team of Avengers." 

I watched as she raised her eyebrows at me and took another bite into her pizza. I sighed in defeat. She was right.

"I'm sorry," I said, holding my hand out for a slice. She smiled and put a piece in my hand. 

"I'll call Melina as soon as we finish lunch," Yelena said, taking a sip of her beer. 

I nodded with a forced smile. 

This plan had to work.

LILIYA POV

I stood on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean below. I looked out into the Atlantic Ocean and took in a deep breath of the salty air. The chilly winds weaved through my hair as I sat, dangling my legs over the edge. 

Dreykov had to be looking for me, right?

I pulled out the communicator again to try to call, but I doubted that I would get a response. 

"Hello? It's Liliya- I'm on the north-eastern coast of the United States by the ocean. Please, if you can hear me, come and find me," I begged into the device. I listened for a few long moments, my heart hoping and praying for a response. 

But the only reply I got was the static from the radio. 

With boiling rage I threw the communicator into the ocean, watching as it splashed into the blue-grey water below. I didn't even care that I lost my last hope of communicating with the others. I sighed, picking up a rock and throwing it down into the wavy water below. 

Now what was I supposed to do? 

I was obviously lost and alone. And I had nowhere to go. Not now.

For a brief moment I wondered if running from the compound was the right call, but as soon as I had the thought it went away. 

I sat there, moving my feet in circular patterns as I tried to think of a plan. I knew I couldn't stay here forever- Natasha would surely find me. 

And that was the last thing I wanted to happen. 

I stood back up slowly, very aware of the pain in my leg. I did my best to ignore it as I grabbed my jacket and made my way back into the woods. 

I hiked and hiked for what felt like hours before I stumbled upon what appeared to be a desolate highway. I used the last of my energy to get up onto the side road, hoping and praying that a kind stranger would come pick me up.

"Yeah right," I laughed to myself, "the wounded teenager in the middle of the woods wearing combat gear. Good choice." I saw the humor in the situation, but part of me still hoped that someone would help me.

But that seemed unlikely.