Chapter Sixteen

NATASHA POV

I quietly pushed the door open and immediately saw Liliya splayed on the floor. 

I could feel my heart fall into my stomach.

I ran into the room and collapsed beside her on the floor. I shakily pulled her head into my lap. Terrified, I placed two fingers against her neck. I could feel a pulse, but it was weak and slow. 

I turned my head to see Yelena frozen in the doorway. After seeing her, she ran into the room and fell beside me. 

"I'll call 911," she said quickly pulling out her phone and dialing. I looked down and saw her leg. 

"Oh my gosh," I gasped, seeing how infected her gunshot wound was. It looked terrible- and extremely painful. I felt her forehead with the back of my hand.

"She's burning up Yelena," I panicked, pulling her closer to me. I listened as she talked to the dispatcher on the phone. I stroked Liliya's hair out of her pale face. 

"You're ok, you're going to be ok," I told her, kissing her hand. Yelena watched me as she got off the phone. 

"They'll be here in 5 minutes," she informed me as she looked at Liliya's leg. She nervously took my hand. 

"She's beautiful Natasha," she said lightly, "she looks just like you."

My eyes felt like they were on fire. I had only been this afraid one other time in my life: the day that Dreykov took her away from me. I didn't know what to do. I could hear the distant wail of the ambulance from outside. I held her close to me, letting the tears fall.

After what felt like a small version of forever, the paramedics ran into the room. I let her go, watching as they lifted her onto the gurney and wheeled her out. Yelena pulled me into her arms as I fell apart.

"She'll be alright Natasha, she's strong," she whispered. She held my hand and pulled me up. 

"Let's go," she said in a calm voice, leading me out of the room and down the stairs. We quickly got in the car and sped after the ambulance, following it towards the hospital. 

I stared forward at the flashing lights in front of me, my mind feeling full and empty at the same time. After another 5 minutes, we pulled into the hospital parking lot. I quickly got out watch as the ambulance pulled into the Emergency Room area. Yelena got out of the car and stood by me. 

"Do you want me to call the others? Let them know what happened?" She asked me. I shakily nodded my head as she made the first phone call. While she was on the phone, we walked inside and sat in the waiting room.

It was very dull inside. The walls were a faded cream color and the floors an eggshell white. There were no pictures on the walls, leaving only the sad cream color for those inside to stare at. The waiting chairs were all a light shade of solid grey. It was very depressing.

I frowned and took a seat in one of the chairs. I leaned forward and laid my head in my hands. I couldn't help feeling like all of this was my fault. 

"They're on their way," Yelena said as she sat down in the chair beside me. I raised an eyebrow. 

"They?" I asked. She grinned.

"Pretty much everyone. They all want to be here for you," she smiled. A wave of comfort washed over me. I sat back and leaned my head on Yelena's shoulder. 

I didn't want to admit it, but I was absolutely exhausted. I felt my eyelids get heavier and heavier until I allowed myself to drift to sleep.

When I woke, the waiting room was full of people I knew. Every single person from the compound was there. I smiled, my heart feeling full and loved. Steve saw I was awake and came to sit by me. 

"How you holding up Nat?" He asked with a sympathetic smile on his face. I took his hand.

"You know me. I'll be fine," I reassured him. He gave my hand a squeeze and nodded. 

"I know."

I stared deep into his eyes. A rush of heat filled my face, which I can only imagine made me blush. I felt a quick flutter in my heart as his eyes looked down to my lips. I exhaled slowly, feeling myself lean in closer to him. His hand met the back of my neck and pulled me in, his lips meeting mine. I felt fireworks in my chest as he kissed me softly and pulled away. 

And all I could do was smile.