Ending Battle (AU Part 2)

200 years later...

Lance, through much effort, had managed to earn the respect of many of the End people. There were still some, like Vordus and Zeganirn, who despised him for killing Ceris, but he didn't let them stand in his way. 

In fact, many of the End people thought Lance wasn't a half-bad leader--once they got past the fact that he killed Ceris. He kept true to his word and managed to accomplish some things that even Ceris couldn't do. He was, though most refused to admit, one of the End leaders of the ages, aside from Ceris and a few other long-dead leaders.

While Lance put on a show of being a calm, cool, collected, witty, and charming leader during the day and any other moments of publicity, the night and when he was alone was a different story. He was constanly tormented by memories and as time wore on, the guilt of killing Ceris--the woman he loved--began to weigh heavy on him.

Sleeping was a torment to him. He had killed Ceris only for power, and now the selfishness of that choice began hitting him. He was exhausted and the news that had just arrived was not helping him.

"The Nether, thousands strong, march torwards the Strongholds," Vordus said, gesturing to the map with a frown. "Soon will the End be raised to a blazing ruin."

Lance frowned and thought over his options. By choosing to stand by the Humans in the war, the Nether was now coming to make the End regret that choice.

"What do you suggest?" Vordus asked. Lance could tell by the Enderman's tone that he was not pleased.

Lance sighed and rubbed a hand over his forehead. "If the Nether gets ahold of the Artifacts, we're doomed. All of us. We cannot let that happen," he paused and looked out the window. "We must protect the Artifacts, but we cannot just use all of our forces to fend the Nether off."

"So what do we do?" Vordus asked, frowning at Lance.

Lance sighed again. "Take a portion of our forces and hide them somewhere the Nether can't find them. Send Zeganirn to take the Artifacts to the Dragon Tamer. He'll be able to protect him. Then scatter the End Crystals across the Overworld, but leave one. As long as Naeus never gets ahold of them, we'll be fine."

Vordus nodded and left.

Lance took a deep breath and leaned against the wall. 

"Oh, Ceris," he murmered. "Sometimes I really wish I had never done this. I think you were a much better leader than I am," he chuckled and looked at the ceiling. "I really wish..."

He trailed off and shook his head. He could wish all he wanted, he couldn't bring back the dead and he couldn't undo his worst life choices.

<>

The armies stood ready around Lance. The Nether rushed at them, full force. They fought on, but Lance knew they were slowly losing.

<>

Naeus held the spear ready at Lance's neck. Lance stared at the trembling Endermen in front of him.

"Any last words?" Naeus asked, proding at Lance.

Lance nodded. "Yes, actually. Even if you have brought the End down, you will never win this war. Ever."

Naeus growled and slashed Lance's head off.

<>

I'm sorry Ceris.

Even though I tried, I wasn't good enough. 

Maybe this was the End's fate after all.

Maybe we were always doomed to fall.

Either way, I want to say I'm sorry. I never should have let the power get to my head.

...

You were always a huge sapball, you know that right.

Pft.

It annoyed Vordus out of his brain.

I'm sure.

Either way, I know this has been *dead* for two hundred years, I forgive you.

That's good.

You left Dragon Tamer with a huge mess, you know.

Oh Ceris, like you wouldn't have?!

I probably wouldn't.

Whatever.

A/N: Well, time for a new ship. up next is a Pazura request from Rockythewolf588!