Don't Be Jealous (Lanris)

requested by YahviOMG.

<>

Lance's P.O.V.

I hear Ceris' laugh well before I see her. Her rare laugh is beautiful and it carries through the air so people can hear her even if she doesn't realize it. The thing that makes me wonder is this: who or what is making her laugh so hard?

I round the corner and finding the library door open, poke my head in there.

There she is, laughing  her beautiful laugh. Across from her some guy with dark red hair is grinning as she takes a deep breath. "Okay. Okay, that was funny!" She catches sight of me. "Lance! I didn't notice you before. Come in!"

I take a cautious step in, eyeing the guy with the dark red hair. For some reason, I begin to hate this guy. Even though I don't know his name. Probably should figure that out first. "Who is this?"

"Hm? Oh, this is Daniel. He's the new librarian here."

Daniel. Now can I can properly despise him. Because he made Ceris laugh. Which I have yet to do, although I've been trying for quite some time. 

I suppose I should make it clear, in case you haven't figured it out already, that I, Lance, have a major crush on Ceris, End Matriarch. I find her to be a funny, clever, and strong woman, who loves her people. All of these things I greatly admire in a person.

Back to the moment now. I clasp my hands behind my back and give Daniel a formal nod. "I had heard about the new librarian. Welcome, Daniel, it is a pleasure to meet you." Not really.

Daniel smiles. "Thank you. I come from one of the most distant islands, so I'm afraid that I don't quite know who you are."

I'm sure he doesn't. I'll bet he does know and is purposely saying that to infuriate me.

"This is Lance, lord of the Outer Islands." Ceris says.

"ALSO a great mage," I add. "I am unsure how you did not know me for I am sure I am in charge of your island. Did you come from Staredge Island?"

Daniel nods. "Yes, my Lord."

Hm, so he's respecting me now. "I can't possibly understand how you did not know of me then."

He shrugs. "Politics and the such were never discussed much in my house."

I take in a deep breath and release it slowly through my nose. Not discussing politics is one thing, but not knowing who your overlord happens to be is quite another. I draw another controlled breath and turn to Ceris. "My Queen, my I speak to you outside for a moment? We will be right back, Daniel."

Ceris follows me out of the library with a questioning look on her face. I close the door and turn to her. "We must have him replaced."

Her eyebrows jump up. "What? Why?"

"Well, honestly, Ceris. Not knowing who his overlord is? That is beyond ignorant," I gesture at the door. "I find him infuriating."

Ceris studies me for a moment and then a sly smile comes onto her face. "Oh, I know what tjis is."

I raise an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yes. You're just jelly."

"Jelly?" A rush of indignation hits me as I realize what she means. "You mean jealous? I am not jealous!"

As soon as the words leave my lips, I realize that she is, indeed, right. The thought of her spending a bunch of time around a guy who can make her laugh when I can't makes want to pull my hair. I probably would, if it wasn't this perfect.

"You are jealous. And if this is any help," she pulls her mask down and leans forward so her face is only centimeters from mine. "I like you better." She quickly presses her lips on mine, and is gone before I can even move.

...

...

Damn.

I guess I don't have to worry after all. I mean, Daniel is obviously inferior to me. So why was I ever concerned?

With this thought, I can finally go find myself something to eat without terrible thoughts ruining my meal. 

This is going to be a good day.

A/N: YAY, I PUBLISHED A ONESHOT! It has been way too long. I hope y'all loved it!