06 II Ice has torn him apart

Sapnap, as-well as Clay visiting, began to be the regular as months went on. From seventh graders, they became eighth graders, and from 13 year olds they became older then their younger selves could ever dream of.

Sometimes the ravenette couldn't visit George, for homework, school, reasons that he could not explain to George no matter how hard he tried. Though, as he made an oath to his friend as an apology, that he would make it to the hospital two times a week. 

When Sapnap wasn't there, though, was when Clay finally felt some sort of solitude with his friend. Don't get him wrong, he loved Sapnap and all the company he had to offer, but it was just something he couldn't explain. 

Though, as time passed, one thing remained. George's sickness. It had taken a toll on him, though he would never admit it. His brown locks finally started to fall, and he felt his self-worth waver, though he would lie of the fact with his life. 

But Clay knew. He had known the boy for 4 years, how could he not? 

One day in particular, Clay remembered with all his mind, his memories allowing the moment to become one that he would always remember. The day the boy smiled, as tears fell down his face. 

Clay opened the door on a cold winter afternoon, and was surprised to see the brunette's back turned to him. This never used to happen, and he was immediately beginning to worry. George looked like an echo of his past self, the self that had remained only a day before it disappeared. 

"George?" He asked, and went up to the brunette, sitting next to him on the bed. The sight tore at his heart, he remembered. A teary eyed boy cried, pieces of his hair lying on the pillow. He dared not look into the emerald eyes of his friend.

The brunette said no words, yet Clay hugged him tightly and let the brunette cry on his shoulder. He didn't mind one bit. 

"George..?" He had whispered, and heard a whimper. "It pains me to see you this way." He mumbled, telling the boy a quote he had read from a book in the library. If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.

"shhhh, I'm here. You'll be fine." He felt comfort in his own words, and held the brunette fiercely. He would be fine, in the arms of his friend. 

That was a few weeks ago. Ever since then the blond had been at his side, telling him stories, comforting him, just being there for a boy he had to call a 'friend'. Perhaps even more than that. 

Clay walked into the hospital on a brighter day. Spring was just beginning to blossom forth, making the two boys excited for a brighter time. 

Times had changed of course. An eighth grader's life wasn't one of bliss and fortune, after-all, it was full of destruction and torment both mentally and physically. Generations have gone by this system. And so would he. 

Things had gotten tough as of late. The words that sapnap said that fateful day came back to him, and he rolled his eyes. Sophia. And Emma and Ava.

They just wouldn't leave him alone, asking him to go out to the cafe down the road, study sessions, everything in-between. "I'm busy." clay spoke, as he walked away from the brunette girl.

"With what? Disappearing off to your hangout, right?" She snapped, grinning evilly at the blond. 

But the boy said no words and just left, caught a bus, and went to the hospital.

But when he walked into the boring hospital room of his friend, the sight shocked him. Two girls crowded around George, another two boys laughing at him.  

Clay felt a surge of hatred at once, and rushed to George, noticing the tears in his eyes. "What the ---- are you doing here?" He bellowed, and everyone paused. 

"Get the ---- out of here right now." The girls rolled their eyes and the boys chuckled. 

"Or what?" One said.

"Protecting your boyfriend, fag."

He felt the boy shake beside him. "Shut up." 

One of the girls laughed. Sophia. "Oh let's go guys, what's the point of staying here? The fag's gonna die anyway, look at his hair!" 

She pointed towards the small bits of hair on George's pillow, and laughed. Clay felt anger control him, blind him. They used his arms for violence, the voices in his head screaming, and he punched one of the guys in the bridge of his nose. 

The guy backed away, hands clasped to his nose in shock. The door slammed open, and a doctor walked in, furious. "WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING HERE? GET OUT AT ONCE!"

Everyone left the room, excluding Clay, who wouldn't move away from the brunette for the life of him. 

"Clay." He began. Every doctor and nurse knew the tall, dirty-blond kid who came to the hospital to see his friend for the past 4 years. 

"I'm staying." He said, turning away and looking down at the shaky body.

"You have to leave in 20 minutes." He said, and walked away. Clay stared down at George, eyes watering, brows furrowed in anger and thought. 

At once, he snapped out of his daze and looked down to the young soul. The blond sighed, climbed onto the bed and sat beside the brunette. 

"George?" He rasped, his voice soft. The brunette shook in response, trying to hide his quivers with the palm of his hand.

His brows fell and he softened. He felt so bad for George, felt bad for the fact that jerks had the audacity to make fun of him. Had the audacity to call him something he was not, call him words that remained at the roots of his heart. Clay knew. Oh how he knew. "I'm sorry." he mumbled, and rested a hand on the brunette's shoulder, stroking it back and forth.  

George stopped shaking and fell into the touch of the blond. "Am I really going to die?" He choked out. Clay was quick to hold the brunette in his arms and hug him tightly.

"No." he said firmly, his chin resting on the brunette's shoulder. 

"Your not going to die." He confirmed, though he didn't know if it was for himself or the brunette. Perhaps both. "I promise."

The brunette choked out a laugh in response. "That's a hard thing to promise."

Clay smiled. "Then I promise I won't leave you alone, bumblebee."

---

this is home - cavetown : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YgmMJJ34k4

"Dad, I'm terrified of death."

"Get over it, son. We all still die."

-twig