Oneshot - "Little life"

"Clay?"

The tired man looked up from his scribbles on paper that needs to be turned in tomorrow. He looks up, fixes his askew glasses and his emerald green eyes meet a sight he had loved for far too long.

"Hullo Bumblebee," He smiled softly, placing a hand on the back of his chair. He watched as the brunette walked over to him, slipped his arms around his husband's neck and smiled as a small kiss was planted onto his forehead.

He gazed over the words scribbled onto the page, and he squinted to get a better look at it all. "Your wearing yourself out, Darling." He breathed but Clay shook his head.

"It's to be done tomorrow." Clay whispered in turn, and began to write once again. He would think George would go off to bed in their cramped apartment but he doesn't.

No, he stays and plays with the locks of Clay's hair, smiling as his hair danced around at his fingertips. Clay let out a small chuckle and stretched his arms, his palms skimming the brunette's back.

"Shouldn't you be asleep?" He asked, but George shook his head and hummed. "'Couldn't sleep. I got to worried about you when you didn't come to bed."

Clay sighed and drew a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, love." George shook his head, a grin pulling the edges of his lips until a chuckle broke out.

"Work's more important, sometimes- But other times you just have to stop and sleep before you collapse." George stood on his toes, looking down at Clay's face, resting on the back of the chair.

He smiled, a soft smile, something that made his heart flutter even after all these years and a small haziness wash over him as he realised how tired he had been.

He sent George off with the promise he would be there soon, and scribbled down the last few sentences. He stood up, arched his back, and began to make his way to the bedroom.

When he walked in, he was met with the sight of George snuggling into his pillow. They didn't have enough money for a bed so they both slept on a single mattress, with two pillows and a blanket they had patched themselves.

Clay began to unbutton his shirt, replacing it with a comfortable white tee. He went to the bathroom next to their tiny bedroom and he brushed his teeth, the water shooting down the drain, creating a hollow sound that shouted around their home.

When he was done, he took off his glasses and settled down for bed. George grinned, muttering a lazy 'yay' and Clay shook his head, smiling.

They settled down for a moment and Clay closed his eyes, realising how tired he was. George brushed his fingers against his cheek and cupped his face.

He placed a hand on the back of his head and pushed it closer to his chest. Soft breaths escaped Clay's mouth but he was awake, and he was doing fine. "How's Will?" He whispered.

"Better. Apparently he's got his very first gig." Clay smiled at that. He hummed quietly.

"Techno?"

"Got the rights to his own bookshop. He's been getting a lot of customers recently."

"Phil?"

"Still in that old, boring town." George sighed.

Clay placed his hands on George's back and pushed himself up, placing another kiss on his forehead. "He needs to leave, see other places. Why does he insist on staying?"

George muttered a slurred 'I don't know.' Clay laughed, rubbing comforting circles on George's back. "Tired, then?"

"Mhm." He breathed and soon, Clay had realised he had fallen asleep. He pulled the blanket over his and George's shoulders, and pressed his lips against his forehead.

"Goodnight, Bumblebee."

[ For a friend who really needed it today. Felt like it would make them feel better if I did this. ]

( >:) -Twig )