Wait A Minute, Who ARE You?

Wait. Xiao. That name. He had...heard it somewhere before.

Apparently, it showed on his face. Twisting his hands together, Morax asked gruffly (was he nervous?), "Do you not like it?"

"I like it!" Alatus- no, Xiao, cried out. "It's just..."

Oh. He remembered now.

When he had eaten Aether's nightmare, Aether had called his doppelgänger Xiao. Moreover, in that dream, Xiao had died, accusing Aether of being the cause of his death. Glancing at Aether, who was beaming brightly like the sun, was it possible that it was all a misunderstanding? But then...it had been too accurate. Scarily accurate to a degree.

Does that mean the Xiao in the nightmare was actually him all along? Even so, how was it possible?

"Aether," Xiao said coldly. He was ready to transform at a moment's notice and tear out Aether's limbs if he were an enemy. Even if it will...hurt Xiao himself to do so.

It seemed as if Aether didn't notice the bloodlust directed at him yet. Innocently (is he?), he tilted his head. "Ala- ah, sorry, I got used to your old name. What is it, Xiao?"

He really didn't want to believe it. But what else could it be? If Aether was an elemental being or god, Xiao would have sensed it immediately and be on guard around him. Yet his aura was everything like a mortal. He got hurt like a mortal, ate like a mortal, lived like a mortal (Xiao can testify because he had been keeping watch on him). However, he had the power to see...the future? Xiao knew, at least, that was something no normal mortal possessed.

Moreover, Xiao had died in his nightmare. Did that mean that...he would die eventually, too?

Before Xiao could so much as say anything, Morax and Guizhong stepped forwards. They stood between Xiao and Aether, acting like a shield for Xiao. Aether, who didn't get the better end of the stick, became the target of two pairs of wary eyes.

Xiao got the message. Morax and Guizhong had long already realised something was off with Aether; they just didn't bring it up. Now that Xiao was jumping the gun, though, it seemed they had no choice but to confront Aether.

"Aether, was it? Your name, child," Guizhong asked. Her voice was still gentle, but a bit uncertain - as if unsure whether she was using the right tone or not.

"Yes...?" Aether said bewilderedly like a lost lamb. Xiao felt bad, but if Aether really was the enemy, they had to leech him out.

"There are no gods under that name," Morax affirmed to Guizhong. Turning to Aether, he asked seriously with a hint of a threat, "Aether. I want you to be honest with me."

"Y-yes, I will, Morax!" Aether squeaked. He was clearly terrified at why he was being scrutinised like that. He even sent Xiao a glance that screamed 'help!'. Regretfully, Xiao could only look away and let the gods do what they must. He needed to be sure himself, too. If Aether truly was a good person.

"What are you?"

There was silence for a good few moments. The slightest rustle of dead leaves was magnified tenfold. Any single movement in the air made Xiao's hair stand on end. Aether was still silent. He was looking down on the ground, fists clenched. Xiao wanted to at least see Aether's expression to get a read on what he was thinking, but Aether's bangs had fallen in front of his face, making his expression a mystery.

"I..." Aether spoke, slowly and cautiously. "I am...a traveller."

"A traveller," Morax repeated, unimpressed.

Hesitantly, Aether continued, "It may be hard to believe, but...I am not of this world. I came from another world."

"So, you were not from the village to begin with," Morax said thoughtfully to himself.