From Dust to Dust

And there they fought upon the Guili Plains...

"Guizhong!"

...where black dust choked the heavens and a thousand rocks splintered...

"Guizhong! Stay with me! Don't...don't...there must be a way to save you!"

Cradled in shaky, rocky arms, Guizhong coughed, blood spurting from between her pale lips. Looking into the sky, distantly, as if she could see the realm beyond, she whispered:

"Those little people are as small and fragile as dust. Because they are so small, they know not when they will lose their lives to disaster or strife, and so they are afraid. Because they are afraid, they try so hard to become more intelligent. This I understand. So I thought that since there is such a gulf between us in strength, I should use technique and wisdom instead. With your brawn and my brains, this city would surely become a great one."

The battle around them seemed muted. Muffled. Rex Lapis could hear the adepti calling his name, footsteps, but-

Turning her glazed sight to Rex Lapis, Guizhong continued softly, "It seems that our journey together has come to an end. As for that stone dumbbell, forget about it, would you?"

Rex Lapis gave a tiny, curt nod, trying not to let...what is this feeling? Sadness? It was suffocating, but he was doing his best to not let it drown him.

Guizhong seemingly hesitated. "This is the mark of our pledge, and it is also my challenge to you. All my wisdom is hidden within this stone dumbbell. If you can unlock it-"

Rex Lapis felt more than saw her soul leave her body.

Who knew that not even Celestia would grant her the courtesy of finishing her final words. Her usually twinkling hazel eyes were now unseeing. Her breath had stopped forever and her entire body had gone slack. Yet, even in death, a lonely smile graced her beautiful face.

...Guizhong, the goddess of dust, passed away.

"N-no..." Rex Lapis murmured, Cor Lapis eyes widening in horror. However, even if he wanted to reject the natural order of the world, Guizhong's body was slowly dissolving into dust. In a blink of an eye, he was holding nothing but two handfuls of dust, the rest having been scattered by the unmerciful wind.

An agonizing scream tore through Guili Plains. Monsters, adepti and humans alike froze in terror at the sheer pain that scream held. No one dared approach the kneeling god who had buried his face in his dusty hands.

Those close, however, could see something like crystal liquid leaking through the god's trembling hands.

That was the first time Rex Lapis cried.

***

It was through hardship and many more sacrifices that Rex Lapis and the adepti won the battle at Guili Plains. By now, the Guili Plains had transformed into a waste of land. The land would probably be unable to be used for civilization until a century has passed. Luckily, most of the humans were unharmed. The humans that Guizhong sacrificed her life to protect.

Word of news has begun to spread now that the adepti were being patched up. When Aether had heard, even if he had expected this very outcome, felt a stab through his heart and tears threatening to spill from his eyes. Xiao, who had also been informed prior to the battle by Aether, clenched his fists and looked away. Aether kept silent, knowing that Xiao was crying and wanting to give him some space.

Aether wondered if Xiao hated him now for doing nothing.

However, that thought instantly went away as he felt Xiao subtly holding his hand, squeezing it reassuringly.