Xiao, the Fish Claymore

By the time the chef had declared Aether's almond tofu as 'barely passing', two days had already gone by. Aether had not slept a wink within those two days, too focused on making the almond tofu and not wanting to waste a single minute stalling his meeting with Xiao.

At first, the chef was not worried about his behaviour at all since Xiao would return to Wangshu Inn on a daily basis. Whatever Aether did, he would probably get a chance to meet Xiao when he came back. However, when the sun had risen and set twice and there was still no sign of Xiao, he became concerned about what happened to the Vigilant Yaksha and also about their unexpectedly diligent guest's health.

"You should rest now, honored guest," the chef murmured, patting Aether on his back.

Despite the obvious sag in his shoulders and the black eye bags underneath his drooping eyes, Aether still managed a weak, "I still haven't prayed to him."

"There will be plenty of time for that after you wake up," the chef reassured.

"Mmmm..." Aether was obviously at his limit now. Right before sleep overtook his system, he had squeezed out, "It can't wait. I...miss Xiao."

Alarmed, the receptionist came running towards the kitchen. Luckily, the chef was by Aether's side to catch his unconscious body before he even so much as brushed the floor. The chef had wanted to make sure he was alright, but Aether was totally conked out, peacefully snoring without a care in the world. Unsure what to do, the receptionist and chef exchanged a conflicted glance.

"Now what?" the chef said.

***

Little did they know, that simple utterance of Xiao's name from Aether's lips could be heard even from miles away by Xiao. Xiao perked up, looking in the direction of Wangshu Inn in the distance.

That...that was Aether's voice!

"Lumine!" he yelled, hopping down from the tree he was perched in. Lumine, hearing his call, hurriedly rushed over.

"Did you find him?" she asked urgently.

"Wangshu Inn," Xiao reported.

"Ugh, that idiot!" Lumine groaned, stomping her feet in rage. "He could have just stayed still and waited! Then he made us run around the entirety of Teyvat when he was under our nose the entire time! I'm so going to beat him up the moment I see him."

Xiao didn't say a word. He himself was too preoccupied on thinking about how to approach Aether. He didn't even realise he had been staring into empty space until Lumine violently waved her hand in front of his face.

Cross-eyed, Xiao shoved her hand away from his face. "What?"

"What are you waiting for?" Lumine demanded. "Let's go already!"

Xiao shoved his thoughts aside. Aether's safety was a priority. As to how he should react...he supposed he should just let the moment decide it.

Thus he was completely surprised when he found Aether sleeping. Lumine had immediately rushed into the guest room to check on Aether, fussing over him like a mother. Despite being angry a few minutes ago, it was clear she was only angry out of concern for his well being. Or perhaps, she was angry at herself too for abandoning her brother in the middle of nowhere.

Having guided them here, the receptionist and chef, who were beside themselves with nerves, stammered to explain the situation while Xiao stood at the threshold of the room.

"He-" Xiao started angrily. Turning his furious, burning gaze on them, he growled, "And you didn't bother to stop him?"

"We-we're sorry, Adeptus Xiao," the receptionist and chef apologised, bowing frantically. "We're really sorry!"

"That's enough. Leave us alone."

Without further ado, the receptionist and chef scrambled from sight. Xiao, taking in a deep breath to calm himself, entered the room, closing the door behind him with a little more force than needed.

Startled from the sudden loud sound, Lumine jumped, turning around and aggressively hushing Xiao.

"He's sleeping!" she hissed venomously.

"Sorry," Xiao said.

Xiao took a seat on the other side of Aether's bed too. Uneasily, he chanced a glance at Aether's sleeping form.

His breath immediately hitched. He was reminded of days of peace on Mount Aocang. When their lives were simpler. When he could stare at his sleeping beauty all night. When they could spend day to night fighting battles. When it was so clear they loved each other, but neither had the confidence to.

But this Aether...he was not the one that had shown him what love was.

His body thought otherwise. He found himself intertwining their hands together. Warm, soft and tangible.

This Aether was alive and, other than being knocked out, was perfectly well without the burden of promises weighing him down. Was this a second chance for him? Is it the end of his story, or is it a continuation?

So lost in his thoughts that he was taken off-guard when he felt the other hand squeezing him back. He wanted to run, hide, be anywhere but here. However, that gentle lock on his hand had him chained to his seat.

While his heart started pounding crazily, his entire body was frozen still like meat in a freezer. Fearfully, he watched as those blond eyelashes flutter, dazzling golden eyes peering out hazily from underneath.

Feeling something on his right hand, Aether's eyes wandered there, finding a hand. Confused, he raised his sight; slowly, dramatically, towards...

A hot ass lean man with the most gorgeous face, beautiful, piercing golden eyes and lips opened in a daze Aether wanted to kiss him-

Wait. Not him. That's-

He turned to his side, finding, to his utmost joy, Lumine sitting there with a poker face. She was safe! But...

In a soft whisper, Aether asked, "Lumine, glad to see you and all but why is Xiao by my bedside?"

As if on cue, Lumine's cheeks puffed up. Unable to resist it, she burst out in laughter, clutching her stomach as she wheezed uncontrollably.

"You-you're still holding-holding his hand!" she gasped.

A furious flush made its way to Aether's face. "Wh-what's wrong with that? We always do this!"

Lumine immediately stopped. Aether, too, was confused by what he had just said. Why did he say that? Wasn't this his first meeting with Xiao?

"Aether."

At the mention of his name, Aether quickly sat upright. Facing Xiao (why does he know that this person is Xiao?), whose face was as stiff as stone, he squeaked, "Y-yes?"

"Do you...remember me?"

A/N:
Lumine: MA'AM HAVE YOU SEEN MY BROTHER HE'S ABOUT THIS TALL, CLEARLY GAY, BUT WE HAVEN'T HAD THE TALK