Abracadabra

It wasn't as if the cause of Aether's death was kept a secret or anything. On the contrary, tales of his legend had immediately spread like wildfire when the flames of war had died down. Almost no one in Teyvat does not know of the brave Adeptus Aether who had stood in between both Celestia and Khaenri'ah and prevented a massive wipe out of a large civilization.

While Xiao, Lumine and Scaramouche were mentioned, Aether was still the one who had done most of the work and had, ultimately, died to keep both warring sides at bay. Thus there was close to no one on Teyvat that hadn't heard of Aether's story and how he had died. So why was this mortal girl asking such a question - to Aether, what's more.

Was it to mock him?

"Director Hu," he said coldly. "You should know the answer to your question."

Lightly, she hummed. Swinging her legs, she tilted her head. "But does Adeptus Aether know the answer?"

As the question sunk in, the temperature of the room seemed to drop drastically, as if the Tsaritsa had decided to make the room her own personal refrigerator.

Nervously and with his breath held in anticipation, Xiao whispered, "Aether?"

While Aether knew the cause of his death, now that Director Hu had said it in such a way, even he was doubting himself. What was she hinting at? Was she suggesting that he was clueless about his own death?

Like drops of water on a still lake, the seconds ticked by. Each second wasted only stretched the tension out.

It wasn't as if he didn't want to respond. Rather, he was conflicted if his reply was not what they desired. It was like obliviously admitting you had an incurable cancer to a doctor. While he was fine getting diagnosed with something like that, he didn't want Xiao to get worried sick again. Xiao had been suffering this entire time while he was gone - Aether didn't want to add more onto his plate.

But then again, if he doesn't respond, it would seem even more suspicious. So, giving Xiao's hand what he hoped was a comforting squeeze under the table, he said, "My cause of death was the paradox created when...my other self arrived in this world. Only one of us could exist at the same time, so naturally, I was forcefully removed from Teyvat itself."

If the atmosphere could become any more tense and colder than it was, it certainly did. Director Hu looked like she had gotten a hundred score in a maths test while Xiao appeared positively horrified.

"That's...that's not what happened, Aether," Xiao whispered, his face as pale as paper. "Do you really not remember how..."

"What do you mean that's not what happened?" Aether repeated, perplexed.

Instead of answering him, Xiao became chillingly quiet. It was like a wall had formed between them. An invisible, solid wall that put them distances away even if they were sat next to each other.

Since Xiao didn't want to talk - and Aether didn't want to pressure him, either - Aether had no choice but to turn to Director Hu.

However, Director Hu only shrugged, seemingly relishing in his desperation. "Well, you said what you said. I wonder, Adeptus Aether. Are you going to continue to hide under the beautiful, perfect illusion? Or are you finally going to face the painful truth?"

"I'm not hiding under any illusion!" Aether insisted. "Xiao, you believe me, right?"

That seemed to have made Xiao snap out of whatever trance he was in. Grimly, he snatched Aether's hand and got up.

"We're leaving," he stated flatly.

"Do come back again!" Director Hu yipped, heartily waving them away.

Xiao didn't look back and neither did Aether. Once they were out under the blazing, scorching sun again, Xiao said, "We're going back to Wangshu Inn."

It wasn't even a question or request. Gulping fearfully, Aether muttered, "Yeah, OK."

Only when they were in the safe confines of their room did Xiao fully face him. Aether flinched under the strong, imploring gaze of Xiao's. This was a side of Xiao he had never witnessed nor encountered before. Aether couldn't get a read on how he was feeling at all; he had a bad feeling about this.

"Aether," Xiao said carefully, as if threading on thin, fragile ice. "Can you tell me how you died? Honestly."

"You were there, Xiao," Aether nervously chuckled. He really, really didn't want to talk about it. "Surely you know how it went about-"

"Please, Aether."

Xiao looked on the verge of a breakdown as he pleaded with Aether. Aether, as much as he wanted to care for Xiao's wellbeing, in the end, this was all about him. Hesitantly, he pursed his lips.

He gestured for Xiao to take a seat on the bed. Xiao followed obediently, patiently waiting for Aether's story.

Aether cleared his throat. "Well, from what I remember, it was a clear, windy night. Bonanus, Bosacius, Indarias, Megonias and you were there. I think it was during one of our weekly purifying therapy sessions when I collapsed."

Xiao nodded in acknowledgement. That indeed has happened. The night when Aether first collapsed, marking the beginning of his intense obsession over stopping Khaenri'ah's destruction and the twin's actual arrival on this timeline.

"It was probably a couple of hours after I collapsed that I managed to wake up again," Aether said thoughtfully. "And after exchanging a few words with you, I...died."

Gritting his teeth, Xiao clenched his head. Something was so clearly, totally wrong in the account that Aether has given. But with no one else here except the two of them, Aether had no reason to lie whatsoever. So was he actually convinced by the fact he had died peacefully from the paradox? Not because of-

"Scaramouche," Xiao gasped in a moment of clarity.

"What?"

As if approving of his own thoughts, Xiao nodded, leaving Aether all the more baffled. He totally cannot understand what Xiao was thinking about. What was it about Scaramouche?

But while he struggled to comprehend Xiao's train of thoughts, Xiao seemed to be able to read his just fine.

In all seriousness, Xiao said, "That messenger of The Sustainer of Heavenly Principles, as obnoxious as he is, could have all the answers we need."

A/N:
Aether: My regret is because I didn't get to sugon.
Xiao: Sugon?
Aether: Sugon those nuts.