I'm Gonna Do What's Called A Pro-Gamer Move

"Can you do me a favour?"

Oh, a favour? He wanted Scaramouche's help on something? Now this...this was getting interesting.

With a mischievous grin, Scaramouche said, "Name it first and I shall consider."

"I want you to hold off from killing me until the war between Celestia and Khaenri'ah."

Until the war? What was this guy hinting at? Does his adeptal powers allow him to see into the future?

But even so, how ridiculous to even suggest a war to break out between Celestia and Khaenri'ah. Khaenri'ah was a nation that Celestia depended on for the survival of Teyvat because of their formidable technology that surpassed generations. To annihilate it would mean slowing down Teyvat's evolutionary progress by a hundredfold.

Moreover...

Grudgingly, Scaramouche grumbled, "I literally tried my best to kill you just now, and here you are, still alive. How annoying. Like a cockroach that refuses to die. What makes you think I would be able to end your life a second time?"

Aether's mouth twitched for the briefest of seconds. "Well, yes, you won't be able to kill me. Just...pretend to? You see, I'm not really sure what will happen, but eventually, Celestia will discard you."

Scaramouche's nostrils flared. "Get rid of me? I, who have been by Her Majesty's side since creation? Don't joke with me-"

"Either way, I assume your task was to kill me, right?"

Argh, Scaramouche hated how he was starting to see the point Aether was about to bring up. Fuming silently, he clicked his tongue. "Yes. That's Her Majesty's order. The other option was to bring you to Celestia, but since that's troublesome, I'd rather not."

Scarily, Aether only beamed brighter. What is up with this adeptus? "I'm glad we're on the same page!"

Scaramouche cringed visibly. "To think I'm on the same page with a lower being. Bah."

"So, about killing me." Aether's expression was now dead serious. Oh, actually, it may have been better if he were smiling. Scaramouche did not like how all the light in his eyes was totally snuffed out; it was like looking into a suffocating pool of quicksand.

For the first time, other than with The Sustainer of Heavenly Principles, Scaramouche felt on edge.

"Just pretend to do so. Don't hold back, hit me with everything you've got. If you do that in front of The Sustainer of Heavenly Principles, even she can't blame you if I'm still alive, can she?"

Scaramouche pondered on his words. Well, he supposed that logic somewhat works out. But there was still the issue of him stalling until god knows when. And not to mention...

"Won't the Conqueror of Demons kill me before I can even lay a finger on you?"

"Oh, Xiao?" There was now a saddened, painful smile on Aether's face. Ah, Scaramouche recognised this one. Guilt. "I'm sure he'll understand by the time comes. I can't guarantee that he won't try to kill you first, though. But it's not like you can be killed that easily, am I right?"

"You're damn right," Scaramouche huffed proudly. "It'll take way more than destroying my physical form to kill me."

"Great, then, it's settled!" Aether said happily. "We'll sign a contract now, OK?"

"Urgh, you and your contracts. Fine."

That was when something clicked in Scaramouche's mind.

"Why is it only Xiao would come after me?" Scaramouche asked suspiciously.

He had his suspicions. Despite attacking Aether right under the adepti's abode, only Xiao was there to defend Aether. What's more, even after that, Scaramouche could still unmistakably sense his presence above. As if he was making sure that Scaramouche wouldn't pull anything funny during their exchange.

"Oh." Aether's face was practically glowing with how red it was now. Shifting uncomfortably, he refused to look into Scaramouche's eye as he stuttered, "U-um. We're...a thing, actually. Recently. He proba-"

He really didn't want to interrupt Aether's embarrassing announcement, but he couldn't help it. Try as he might, Scaramouche couldn't hold back the overflowing laughter at seeing a powerful adeptus getting flustered over something as trivial as love. Love!

It wasn't a second later the ground shook with the slamming of a spear. Speak of the devil! It was the Conqueror of Demons!

"What happened?" Xiao demanded. It would have been more threatening if Scaramouche didn't just informed that he and Aether were in a relationship. He just couldn't imagine how a Yaksha, a literal top-notch killing machine, was lovey-dovey.

"Oh, nothing, nothing," Scaramouche chuckled airily, waving a hand. "You really do have an interesting boyfriend, Xiao! I sincerely look forward to our bright future!"

***

"We'll do anything!" Gold exclaimed, much to Rhinedottir and Aether's shock.

Aether blinked. He did not expect the chief alchemist to throw his pride onto the line just as simply as that. Perhaps...he had frightened them a little bit too much. Initially, he had just wanted to make a contract to ensure his silence, but since Gold offered himself up, Aether supposed he could help with his plan.

Coughing lightly into his fist, Aether said in a serious tone, "I shall take you up on that, then. What I'm about to tell you stays within these walls. No one else shall hear of this - especially Xiao and Lumine. Understand?"

"Yes, sir!" Gold squeaked, nodding fervently.

"What have we gotten ourselves into," Rhinedottir sighed, facepalming not too subtly.

Laughing, Aether chuckled, "It's no big deal. I won't do anything as long as no one else hears of this. Now, listen closely. I won't be repeating myself twice."

Briefly, he explained his plan on using the energy from his death to disrupt the war. At first, Gold and Rhinedottir were nervous, but upon hearing more, their alchemist side started to shine through their anxiety.

"No, no, that won't do," Gold groaned. "As far as I know, a god's death energy is capable of disrupting only an area as big as a city - not an entire nation."

"Plus the consequences resulting from the energy cannot be predicted," Rhinedottir added. "Also, are you sure an adeptus like you is capable of even releasing any death energy?"

Memories from 3100 surfaced to mind. When Xiao died, there was no mistake that the energy he released was able to affect reality. Nodding confidently, Aether said, "Without a doubt. Though, it may not be as strong as a god's."

Stressfully rubbing his own salt and pepper hair, Gold grumbled, "On the assumption of what you say is true, I can do some modifications to your body to achieve what you want. W-with your consent, that is!"

What happened a couple of minutes ago obviously still hasn't been forgotten. However, with what little time they have (who knows when Xiao and Lumine will come back?), Aether had no choice but to agree.

"Alright, make it quick," Aether said. "Still, if I find you doing something you shouldn't..."

"Y-yes, I understand!" Gold saluted.

"Good."

Aether breathed in, ready for Gold to do what he needed to do. Before he could relax himself, though, the thought that if he proceeded with this, he would be sealing his own death consumed him. There was no turning back from this. Most probably, he would be wiped off from existence himself. If he successfully managed to change the timeline, there was no timeline for him to return to. He will be...he will be dead.

He gripped his head, gritting his teeth and chiding himself mentally to stop the tears.

He didn't tell anyone. He tried to act brave. He tried to act calm. He tried, he tried, he tried.

But ultimately, he was still afraid.

I really don't want to die.

A/N:
Aether: We're vibing!
Scaramouche: NO