Xiao Yeets A Spear

Without saying a word, both of them found themselves back in their room, away from the rowdy partygoers and blasting music. Even then, the dormitory was not too far from the courtyard. So even if the door was closed and the windows were shut, they could still hear the muffled sounds of laughter and cheering.

Quietly, the both of them sat down on their own beds, facing each other but not looking at each other.

For a moment, there was silence between them. Aether was trying to think really hard on how he should start off while the crease between Xiao's eyebrows became increasingly more furrowed.

"Happy b-"

"I was-"

The both of them paused, realising they spoke at the exact same moment. Then, unexpectedly, they both burst into laughter. The tense atmosphere instantly melted away to be replaced by a light one.

"S-sorry-" Aether gasped. "You can go first, Xiao."

Luckily, Xiao doesn't seem to be frowning anymore. Instead, a little amused smile graced his beautiful face.

"I was worried about you, but it seems that there was nothing much to worry about," he admitted.

"Ah," Aether said softly. "Sorry that I made you worried. Honest."

However, Xiao's eyes still spelt concern. "Is your back OK?"

"I'm fine," Aether insisted.

Closing his eyes like he was at peace once more, Xiao mumbled, "Good."

Then, sternly, he demanded, "Where did you suddenly go off to then? I know you didn't mean it but it still made me worried when you didn't come back for several hours."

"Oh, that." Aether felt his face flush. Ah, he truly felt bad for causing Xiao to feel uneasy - especially on his birthday - while he busied himself with his present. But then again, he didn't have a choice. Still, to think that Xiao would be concerned for him made him happy in the way that Xiao cared what happens to him.

"Well?"

"Wait, give me a second!"

Frantically, Aether grabbed his spatial bag and rummaged for the carefully tucked away almond tofu. Once he felt his fingers brush against the container, he took a deep breath. As cautiously as possible, he pulled out the box of almond tofu.

Xiao merely raised an eyebrow at the box.

"H-happy birthday, Xiao," Aether said shyly. Extending his hands, he offered the box to Xiao, who stared at him with something like incredulity. "And of coming of age too."

Wordlessly, Xiao took the box from Aether's hands. Sweet aroma instantly filled the room when the lid was opened. Xiao's face twitched, eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"You sneaked away so that you could make this?" he questioned teasingly.

"H-hey, I didn't sneak away! I clearly told you I needed to go somewhere."

Xiao laughed airily. "I really don't understand mortals."

"Excuse you." Playfully, Aether punched Xiao's shoulder. Nonetheless, a smile still made its way to his face.

The moment of truth came when Xiao took the first bite from the dish. Aether watched Xiao intensely and expectantly as Xiao closed his eyes, relishing the taste of the tofu.

"It's good," Xiao finally declared. Then slowly, he added, "It...tastes surprisingly like dreams. But better. Without the bitter memories and with all the sweetness. I...really love this."