Happy(?) Birthday Xiao

The mutated whopperflower writhed once more in agony before rotting black and dissipating into ashes. Panting, Xiao used his spear as a support. With his other free hand, he swiped away at the sweat that had gathered on the tip of his chin. Beside him, Aether was heaving too, although he seemed less tired than him.

"You've fought- this thing before?" Xiao asked between puffs.

"Yeah," Aether said, putting his sword away. "Pyro Regisvine, that's what it will be called. Had to fight it every day for almost a month just for Bennett's sake."

Xiao gave a small laugh. Sometimes, Xiao just couldn't comprehend the dedication Aether has towards his fellow travelling companions.

"Since we finished earlier than expected," Aether said, getting closer until they could see each other's eyelashes. "Wanna take a walk around Liyue?"

Archons, of course he would say yes. Who was he to reject Aether?

So once the two of them made their luxurious way out of the Pyro Regisvine's cave, they took a nice stroll around the region. They didn't really have a destination in mind. They didn't have to worry about getting lost or sudden monsters sneaking up on them too. Rather, those monsters would serve as a surprise challenge for the both of them to train their skills.

When they weren't fighting monsters, they simply talked. About the weather, about Lumine, about the Vermilions and sometimes even about the adepti. Conversation came so easily to them, they didn't even have to think twice about their next topic.

Xiao truly enjoyed Aether's company by his side. Even if he didn't admit it, he hated the time when Aether had to go to sleep, because then he couldn't interact with Aether. He's made sure to spend every waking moment possible of Aether's to be with him. It may be greedy of him, but despite his new family being very friendly, he still preferred to spend it with Aether, who he felt like he could be himself the most.

After all, the both of them had seen each other vulnerable and Aether had even shared the truth of his existence in this time to no one but Xiao. That meant a lot to Xiao and made him treasure Aether even more.

Xiao didn't even realise the time until the sun set. It made him worried, but he thought, as they watched the sunset from Qingyun Peak, with Aether resting his head on his shoulders, maybe they could wait a couple extra minutes. Some people might be worried, but he was sure that they would forgive them.

Once the sun finally gave way to a sparkling starry sky, Xiao softly whispered, "We should get back."

"Huh? Oh, yeah." Aether gave a great yawn.

Cute.

"Let's take the teleporter," Aether suggested. Xiao could understand. Aether was probably exhausted from walking around all day.

Nodding, Xiao took hold of Aether's hands. In the blink of an eye where everything was black, they reappeared on Mount Aocang's teleport waypoint. Then sneakily, the both of them quietly made their way around the mountainside before using Xiao's skills to whizz their way to the empty common area.

Crickets chirped noisily as they made their way to the entrance of the adepti's abode. Xiao put his hand on it, about to open it, but realised Aether was standing a few steps behind.

"Aether?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Ah, I just remembered something!" Aether laughed nervously, rubbing the back of his head. "I'll come back in a while! You go in first, OK?"

Befuddled at this sudden event, Xiao gave a dazed grunt. Beaming, Aether glowed blue before disappearing into thin air, probably having teleported to one of the other teleport waypoints, leaving Xiao alone.

Something felt odd about that. Usually, Aether would let Xiao come along with him too, and he didn't forget things that easily.

Xiao shook his head. He was thinking too much. Pushing open the door, he stepped into the adepti's abode, and saw...

"Happy birthday, Xiao!"

He was frozen in awe. The courtyard was decorated with glowing red lanterns and paper cuttings of flying dragons and birds. There were tables of food, beverages and decorations everywhere around the courtyard, surrounded by adepti and other godly allies who were all clapping.

But what stood out the most was a giant lifelike ice sculpture of a vermilion bird in the centre. Its giant wings were curved towards the night sky, as if about to take flight.

"I...thanks, all," Xiao said, stunned at the surprise.

Everyone hollered and clapped once again while Xiao stood there sheepishly, not really sure what to do. Once the crowd cleared and the others went back to what they were doing, Xiao saw Rex Lapis coming his way, followed by Guizhong and Ganyu on his heels.

"Happy birthday, Xiao!" Guizhong congratulated. "And of coming of age too!"

"T-thanks," Xiao mumbled shyly.

"I assume that the statue fits your taste?" Rex Lapis hummed.

"Yes, m-my Lord," Xiao said, bowing slightly. "Words can barely express the breathtaking beauty of the statue. I am beyond moved."

Smiling, Rex Lapis put his hands on Ganyu's shoulders, gently pushing her forward despite her attempts to hide behind him. "It was made by Ganyu."

"Rex-Rex Lapis, please-" she whimpered. "It was Guizhong's idea, I simply followed her instructions."

Guizhong laughed airily. "Details, details. You were the one who executed it in the end, darling. Be proud of it."

"Thank you, Ganyu, Guizhong," Xiao said sincerely with a tiny smile. "I really appreciate the statue."

"It's no problem!" Ganyu squeaked. "I'm glad you liked it..."

After a couple of words were exchanged, Guizhong and Ganyu went to get some food to eat. Rex Lapis, who had been mostly hanging there, now took a step towards him.

"Xiao, I'd like to also give you a gift," he said, voice a low rumble.

Xiao gulped. Despite knowing that Rex Lapis would mean no harm, he still couldn't help the chills that came to him whenever he came too close. The memory of Rex Lapis' battle with Shimu still hasn't been erased from his mind, after all.

Opening his hands, Rex Lapis presented to Xiao a glowing teal orb encased in a gold frame. There was a symbol on it, too. It looked somewhat like a...reindeer?

Carefully, Xiao took it into his hands, cupping it like it was fragile. He slowly turned it over, observing the orb from all angles.

"It's called a Vision," Rex Lapis supplied. "It's something that has been recently going about, being passed out by Archons to mortals."

"Why must I have one?" Xiao blurted out. Then, realising he might sound ungrateful, he quickly added, "I don't think I deserve this."

"Not to worry," Rex Lapis said, totally unfazed. "This is simply a fake Vision I made with the help of Barbatos. To follow the beliefs of our people, I am granting Visions to adepti that prefer to stay in human form."

"I will be sure to treasure it, Rex Lapis," Xiao declared. He then fumbled about, trying to find a good spot to pin it, and decided on the forearm sleeve of his left arm.

"Looks good," Rex Lapis approved, nodding acknowledgingly. "By the way, where is Aether? Isn't he always with you?"

"He...isn't at the party?" Xiao asked. Worry started bubbling in his stomach.

"No, as far as I know."

"He said that he had something to do..." Xiao mumbled. But do what? Aether didn't tell him what it was that he wanted to do and teleported away. He could be all the way in Southern Liyue for all he knew.

He prayed that nothing bad had happened to Aether. 

A/N:
The monsters seeing two lovebirds strolling about: Awww how cute
The monsters when the lovebirds take out their weapons: Fudge