Living In Spain Without The S

As Khaenri'ah had become an area where gods' powers were rendered useless, Celestia had chosen to withdraw. With the gods gone, Khaenri'ah had become a safe haven for its citizens. Now, truly, it is a land untouchable by the gods.

Even then, everyone knew this would not last long. Aether's death energy can vanish anytime, and surely Celestia will swoop in like a hawk at the chance to utterly destroy Khaenri'ah. Thus, when the death energy was still fresh, the King and Queen of Khaenri'ah along with the Tsaritsa held a conference with Celestia to discuss their relationship. Of course, both sides were reluctant they still had to put up with each other, but after some convincing by the Tsaritsa, Rex Lapis and Barbatos, they had chosen to give each other a second chance.

Xiao had wanted to join the meeting. After accepting that Aether had sacrificed himself for this somewhat peaceful situation to happen, he had wanted to know whether Aether's efforts truly had paid off - whether he had achieved his long-desired goal.

He would make sure they do.

But unfortunately, as much as he begged, Xiao was in no position to join the meeting. In his place, though, Rex Lapis had reassured him that he would be sure to inform Xiao of the outcomes. Even if Rex Lapis seemed unfazed by the war, Xiao could see the slight sag in his shoulders and how he drifted more often into silence; something he does when they lose any of their numbers.

It was also the first time Xiao felt so depressed. The hollow gap in his chest that Aether has left was way larger than all of his fallen comrades' combined. If his life was a jigsaw puzzle, not only a piece, but half of the puzzle was missing. No matter how hard he tried to find the other pieces, they were never to be found. It was infuriating. It was tormenting.

Lumine was not faring well either. Despite knowing an alternate version of her brother for just a few days, it was obvious she already saw him as her own brother. About four times a day, she would suddenly break into tears and demand to be left alone. Xiao, as much as he wanted to shed tears too, found that he didn't have it in him to. He was just so lost; he had never imagined a future without Aether. Aether was always by his side. Without him smiling, laughing and teasing him by his side, everything seemed so muted and dull.

He tried to bring himself back to his senses by slaying demons as usual. Yet the usual vigor of the battle was lost without Aether fighting alongside him, cheering him on and whooping in victory. Plunging his spear into the blood-soaked field, he cursed spitefully.

Through his Yaksha mask that hid his anguish, he muttered, "Why didn't you tell me about it, Aether?"

No one answered him. Not the land, not the wind, not the corpses of the demons he had slain, not the trees that stayed deathly still.

The person that could answer him could never answer him back.

Crack.

With the power of Anemo to propel him forwards, he lunged towards the source of the sound, spear pointed at their throat.

To his relief, it was only Lumine with her hands held high. Xiao relaxed, putting away his spear and removing his Yaksha mask.

"What is it?" Xiao asked monotonically.

Lumine glanced behind at the enemies he had killed, barely repressing a shudder. "Um...are you busy?"

"No."

"Oh," Lumine said. Nervously, she twisted her hands. "Um. I was going back to Khaenri'ah to check on...the other Aether. I was wondering if you would want to tag along?"

The other Aether...Xiao didn't know how to feel about him. While his own Aether, the one that he had fallen in love with, was essentially one and the same person as the...younger Aether, they were also completely different. 3100 years of memories can't be replaced that easily. Xiao may know the younger Aether, but the younger Aether would know nothing of him. To younger Aether, he might as well be a total stranger that wasn't even worth paying attention to.