Aether Rises From The Dead

It only required a moment.

With the cover of darkness by his side, Scaramouche easily advanced to the blond adeptus' location without being caught. Just look at him. Totally unguarded, sleeping soundly - so comfortably - and with no one to protect him.

He needn't be even quiet or stealthy. Those adepti were too drunk and no one was probably coming out anytime soon. To think that they would be so careless to let one of their potentially targeted adeptus be unprotected. They really were fools.

Squatting down so that his shadow blocked out the moon's glow on the adeptus' face, shrouding them in darkness, Scaramouche smirked, lifting up a crackling finger.

"This will be quick and painless," Scaramouche whispered. He would have loved to make this adeptus' death much more simpler (for example, stabbing his heart, chopping off his head), but overall with an unknown enemy, he had to play safe. Make sure he shuts down their system for good. Overpower them. Destroy them from the inside out.

He tapped his finger gently onto the adeptus' vulnerable neck. Satisfyingly, he watched as the adeptus' entire body gave a single jolt, their breathing stopping completely.

Huh. It was so easy to put this adeptus out of his misery. Too easy. Suspiciously so. But well, whatever. His work here was done.

However, he had barely gotten up onto his feet when he felt the tip of a spear digging into his neck.

"And I thought I was all alone. You really do live up to your title, Vigilant Yaksha," Scaramouche sighed. Turning his palms up, he slowly spun around to find said Yaksha emitting a dangerous amount of bloodlust.

"And what do you think you're doing?" Xiao growled menacingly, a tiger cornering his prey.

"I just put your Sleeping Beauty into an eternal slumber," Scaramouche laughed. "If only if you've been a few seconds faster, I'm sure he would ha-"

"Man that stung."

Scaramouche froze. No way. To his avid horror, the adeptus he had so obviously just murdered was getting up, leaning his neck to the side as if to stretch it.

"How are you..." Scaramouche said dreadfully. No one has ever survived such a high voltage electrical contact from him - not even gods! So why was he moving around like nothing just happened?

"Why don't we have a nice chat, Scaramouche?" the adeptus chirped cheerily, patting the ground beside him. Oh, how revolting. He would rather be struck by lightning right here and now than indulge in this adeptus' little game.

But a spear poking into his neck said otherwise. He grumbled, grudgingly plopping down beside the blond adeptus, who was still smiling. Scaramouche repressed a shudder. Weird and creepy.

"What do you want?" Scaramouche said curtly.

Xiao and the blond adeptus made eye contact, seemingly passing a message telepathically (can they even do that?). Huffing, Xiao excused himself and started climbing the mountain. Amusedly, Scaramouche watched as he went up higher and higher until he was meters above them, observing them like a vigilant hawk.

"I believe I haven't introduced myself. I'm Aether," the adeptus smiled.

"Scaramouche."

"So, were you trying to kill me just now?" Aether lightly questioned. Straight to the point, huh? This adeptus really got guts. Either that or all he had in his head was sunshine and rainbows.

"So what if I was?"

"That's a yes then." Aether nodded approvingly. Scaramouche glared. What the hell was this guy on? "Was it Celestia? Or maybe more specifically, the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles?"

Scaramouche winced. How does he know so much - and on point, too? No one should know of Her Majesty's existence except for those from Celestia. She was the one who preferred ruling behind the scenes after all. Was Aether actually capable of telepathy? Hmph. Whatever. It's not like it's his problem if some adeptus found out about Her Majesty. But still, how curious.

Casually, he asked, "Do you have a problem with Her Majesty?"

"No. For now. But now that I know that I have gotten her attention...Scaramouche, you're a messenger of Celestia, right?"

"The one and only of Her Majesty's."

"Can you do me a favour?"

Oh, a favour? He wanted Scaramouche's help on something? Now this...this was getting interesting.

With a mischievous grin, Scaramouche said, "Name it first and I shall consider."

Xiao, meanwhile, simply stood guard from above. Arms crossed, he clicked his tongue. This was taking too long. Aether had told him that that messenger from Celestia, Scaramouche, was bound to come back for him sooner or later. Although he came earlier than either of them had expected, Aether was already prepared to be ambushed.

Xiao sighed fondly. Whatever experiences Aether had been through for the past eleven years had clearly made him stronger than before. He was, to say the least, proud of his partner.

A bursting laugh brought him back to reality. Xiao leaped back down instantly, weapon ready. But apparently it was only Aether desperately trying to calm Scaramouche down while the latter was wheezing his lungs out.

"What happened?" Xiao demanded.

"Oh, nothing, nothing!" Scaramouche chuckled airily, waving his hand as if to dispel the laughter remaining in the air. "You really do have an interesting boyfriend, Xiao! I sincerely look forward to our bright future!"

In a crackle of lightning, he vanished. Flabbergasted, Xiao turned to Aether.

"Did it work?"

"Yeah," Aether said wearily. "I'm glad that worked out."

Xiao could only give Aether a pitiful glance. Even though Xiao had not been by his side and with the Archon War waging, Aether had been working on his goal the entire time. But since Xiao was here, he would do anything in his power to make sure Aether completes his mission from now on.

"Aether, you really are astounding."

And there Aether's face goes red again. Xiao allowed himself a hearty chortle. Aether was so easy to embarrass.

The first few kind morning rays made them pause. But Xiao wasn't mesmerized by the sun; the sun was nothing but a spotlight made for Aether. His Aether.

"You're beautiful," the both of them said in unison.

Archons damn it now he was blushing too. Why must Aether always be the one to catch him off-guard?

Still, to prevent the destruction of Khaenri'ah...it isn't going to be an easy feat.

A/N:
Aether: So like me and Xiao are dating-
Scaramouche: *wheezes to cover up his disgust*