Meeting His Sister

It was with no surprise that Scaramouche was immediately kicked out of the palace and blacklisted after that. Aether sweatdropped while Xiao only facepalmed in exasperation. Even so, the King still upheld a stiff smile. Whereas, the Queen had already focused her attention on playing with a giggling Kaeya. Dainsleif and Lumine stood in the corner of the room, silently watching the show play out.

"Aether, Xiao, the floor is yours," the King stated.

"Thank you, Your Highness," Aether said. He made his way to the front of their thrones, giving a courteous bow. "Actually, the matter I wanted to discuss today is related to the warning Celestia had sent, too. It's about the Mechania."

"Are you interested in it? We can give them to you for free," the Queen offered sweetly.

"The proposal is appreciated, Your Highness, but I shall pass this time. Although, I would like to know who is the manufacturer for these Mechanias?"

"That would be the royal alchemist Gold, of course," the King answered proudly.

Gold...

He had heard of this name before; somewhere, back in his original timeline. Was it in a book...? The details had already eroded from his mind; he couldn't recall perfectly what it was that history had recorded on this Gold person.

"I have reports of sightings of Mechanias in the world above," Aether divulged. "If Your Highness doesn't mind sharing, may I know on how the Mechanias are distributed?"

"The upper world?" The Queen put a hand on her chin thoughtfully. "My, it shouldn't be there. Distribution of the Mechanias are strictly limited to the citizens of Khaenri'ah only. Dear, I think someone might have snuck the Mechanias to the world above."

The King sighed forlornly. "What a disappointing disorder. Might they have caused any inconvenience up there?"

"To the mortals, not yet as of now," Aether admitted. "But Celestia has taken notice of this and has viewed Mechanias as a mockery towards their godly Visions."

"If Scaramouche's message had meant anything, Celestia must have taken serious offence in the Mechnias," Xiao added from the side.

"Your Highness," Aether begged. "Would you consider halting the production of Mechanias for the sake of your nation?"

This entire time, Kaeya had been watching the conversation go forth and back with a twinkle in his eyes. But now that the discussion had reached its climax, he inhaled deeply, covering his mouth in case his breathing would disrupt the thick tension.

"We may, but either way, we are not listening to the likes of Celestia," the King declared boldly. "They have done nothing for us and we have done everything for them: domains, Leylines, elemental energy, resin - we shared them all! Instead of us doing their bidding, they should be doing ours!"

Aether and Xiao were both speechless by the overwhelming grudge held in his speech. What were they to do? With the King's attitude, it didn't seem like Khaenri'ah would give in to Celestia. While that feat is admirable, it would only cause the downfall of Khaenri'ah, no matter how advanced their weapons and technology are.

"Darling," the Queen shushed, placing a hand on the heaving King's arm. "Calm down."

"Don't be angry..." Kaeya pleaded with shining puppy eyes.

The King evidently softened at that. Clearing his throat, he said back in his calm tone, "Sorry I raised my voice. But yes, I still go by what I said. Khaenri'ah will not stop the production or distribution of Mechanias. However, thanks to your report, we will be keeping a closer eye on the flow of Mechanias to the world above. Otherwise, we will be preparing for Celestia's refute against us. Is there anything else you would like to discuss?"

So that was it, huh? Negotiations were fruitless; neither Celestia nor Khaenri'ah would back down.

Was this hopeless in the end?

"Nothing else, Your Highness," Aether said. "Thank you for your audience today."

***

The moment they were out of the throne room, Aether suddenly fainted. Xiao caught the unconscious Aether easily by the shoulders, his expression distressed. Lumine, not expecting such a thing to happen, reacted a second later.

As white as a ghost, Lumine demanded, "What happened to Aether?"

This really wasn't a good time. As Xiao gently laid Aether against the wall, he grimly turned towards his boyfriend's twin.

"Aether's not in a good condition to talk now," Xiao said slowly in a tone lower. "I can...explain the situation to you, if that is fine."

"Thanks but, I rather hear it from Aether's own mouth." Lumine's shoulders sagged. She seemed really off-put, not sure what to do. "Is...he gonna be alright?"

"He will." I hope, is what he didn't say.

"By the way, who are you?"

"Xiao," Xiao said immediately. Scratching his cheek, he continued a little flustered, "And um...Aether's partner."

"Like partners in crime?" she quipped excitedly.

Must he really spell it out loud for her? Archons, Aether and Lumine were seriously as dense as Rex Lapis' meteor. He can recall so very vividly when Aether brushed off his kiss of a confession as 'no homo'.

What's more, this was Aether's twin sister. Declare their relationship in front of Rex Lapis? No problem. Declare their relationship in front of the King and Queen of Khaenri'ah? With pleasure. Declare their relationship to his boyfriend's sister?

...

He doesn't know why, but he's nervous and embarrassed as hell.

"N-no, like, you know-"

Celestia, he was trying so hard not to stutter and blush but his body was not cooperating.

Tilting her head curiously, Lumine pointed at herself. "I know?"

"I m-mean, as i-in a...romantic...relationship."

Lumine's eyebrows were going higher and higher than ever. Rex Lapis knows if it has ascended to Celestia by now.

"Wow," is what she finally said. "He actually came out and got a boyfriend."

Squatting down next to the slack body of her brother, she patted his shoulders the way one would do to a soldier returning from war. "Good job, bro. You came out and got yourself a boyfriend, you pussy."

Xiao never had any siblings, so he didn't know whether this was how ordinary sibling relationships work.

"Oh, what do we have here?"

Xiao whipped around at the voice, moving in front of Aether protectively. He glared at the newcomer, a bespectacled young man with wild salt and pepper hair wearing a stained white lab coat. He was smiling serenely, but Xiao's instincts told him that this guy was not trustworthy despite his relaxed disposition.

The man got on his tiptoe, trying obviously to get a glance at Aether. Xiao prepared himself, ready for anything dangerous the man might do. He will not let Aether get hurt. On his watch or not, he'll be damned if any harm comes to his precious.

"Say, he seems like he's dying," the man smiled. "Would you like me to take a look at him?"

"Who are you?" Xiao lowly growled. "What do you want?"

The man puckered his face alternatively, seemingly deep in thought. Everything about this man was only getting creepier and creepier; all Xiao's instincts were screaming at him to get Aether and run away this instant.

If they don't...they might get into deeper trouble.

Finally settling on a decision, the man combed a hand through his hair. "Royal alchemist Gold, at your service."

A/N:
Kaeya with puppy eyes: Please listen to Aether
The King: Yes you're right no war

The end