Chapter 0 - Prolog

"What the fuck is a Proud Immortal Demon Way Booth?" thought poor and stinky Shen Yuan a.k.a PeerlessCucumber, staring at a life-sized Luo Binghe made out of cardboard.

"You can try on a costume and take a picture here. The top pictures will have a chance at becoming extras. You should try it!"

A lady he hadn't even noticed spoke. She was dressed (or rather, undressed) as one of the characters of the cheap novel he liked to - er - 'critique' in his spare time. Was she a mind reader? Was he awake? Maybe he'd been speaking instead of thinking, hard to tell when you only encountered people when going to the store every couple of weeks.

He was about to say no, no way, when his eyes wandered to a sign and he saw a big "cash prizes" in bold red . Not like he'd win, but a shot at getting cash was better than no shot at getting cash, right?

"Is it free?" he asked.

"It is, and you're lucky there's never a queue at 10 am on wednesdays," said the little Sha Hualing look alike.

"Might as well then," he said and proceeded to fill out one of the forms he was handed. The girl selected a costume (the bastard Shen Qingqiu? might as well - wait did it mean she disliked him?) and then made him stand by cardboard-Binghe. Poor soul who wore that suit after him, he hadn't showered in... better not count how long.

"Say something pretending you're Shen Qingqiu!" said another of the ladies, the pretty Liu Mingyan.

"Fuck you, Binghe" he started speaking, thinking of the last chapter he'd read, and pushed the same bile he added to his reviews into his speech, "your pathetic excuse of a biography will only be full of random hollow sex and no meaning whatsoever. Empty senseless ego inflating stupid deeds. You believe you're that grand? What a joke."

Maybe he'd taken it a tad too far. The girls were speechless and just silently took a few pictures and instructed him to dress back.

When a letter arrived less than a month later with a third prize cheque and asking him to show up to the casting for the Live Action "Proud Immortal Demon Way" his first thought was "WTF ಠ_ಠ" with the emoji and everything.

His second thought was "sweet, money for a dakimakura!"

His third thought was "wait, do I have to show up to this?"

And thus started the journey of our poor villain, who would have to shower at last.