Chapter 13 - Team work

Day two of acting had him working with Xu Tengfei one on one. It was a simple scene of them speaking in the forest after Binghe's return from the abyss.

Shen Qingqiu and Luo Binghe met in what seemed to be a chance encounter and analyzed the curse that had hit a small town. It was some problem solving but mostly pure banter, a proverbial cock measuring contest, where words were tossed around in a fierce competition to see whose manhood was the biggest, hairiest and scariest piece of meat to ever slap a table. This one, Shen Qingqiu would win. That would make Binghe's final victory much sweeter.

"You say you trained in the abyss, come back looking like demon spawn. And yet you still fail to see the very obvious source of a simple curse. Pathetic." he spat,a half smile of superiority on his lips while his gaze sized him up, looking at him up and down with what he hoped looked like disdain.

Luo Binghe rested his hand on his sword, his shoulders tense but his face was relaxed.

"Shizun," he said without Xiaosi's playful warmth. A stab in the chest to have a new Luo Binghe speak like that to him. The strangeness hurt.

"Luo Binghe, my disciple. You bring me shame. You waste my time with your uselessness."

The man's eyes were fixed on Binghe's face, brow furrowed and eyes cold as Mobei Jun's ass.

Binghe's gaze was captured, locked in a staring contest. And suddenly, without being prompted, a tear trickled down his cheek.

This wasn't in the script, so the scene was probably lost. That wasn't Shen Yuan's first thought though, the first one had no shape. It was like a foreign entity that took over and made him lift his hand and wipe the tiny spot of wetness.

"It's okay. You can do it," he spoke, gentle all of the sudden.

Had he slipped out of character? Those words were more true than the abuse. How could one hate this oversized pup?

"Cut!" The sudden loud call took both of them out of their daze. It was the fourth take already.

"Xu Tengfei, it seems like you need a break. Go rest, we'll do a fight scene with the stunt people," said the director in a clipped tone.

Shen Yuan followed the young man without meaning to. Maybe they were going in the same direction or something.

"You know, that dialogue is a bit harsh," he said, walking behind Tengfei. The man stopped and looked at him. Shen Yuan stopped walking as well, his gaze on the far away trees.

"The words sometimes hurt even if they are an act. I myself have been told that sort of thing before. That I am shameful, a waste of space. But you're not Binghe. You are brilliant."

Xu Tengfei swallowed and nodded. He hadn't spoken a word yet but his eyes were shining and fresh tears dropped.

"I know. I've been called worse things too so this shouldn't hurt. I just... I might not have slept enough. I apologize for my lack of professionalism," spoke Xu Tengfei, his voice cracking a bit.

Shen Yuan nodded

"I see, sleep is important. You know, sometimes emotions just overflow and it's useful for acting. If anything I'm the one who's not professional here, I change the script half the time and they still haven't kicked me out" he chuckled and grabbed Tengfei gently by the wrist.

"Come, let's eat some sweets, that will cheer you up."

The young man gave a weak little smile, the spell of the scene before still partially gripping him.

"Xu Xiaosi always said Shizun is a kind man. I see what he means."

Shen Yuan felt a little pinprick in his chest, a needle was lodged there since that party.

"I don't see where he got that idea. Very well, I see you're another one of the club that calls me Shizun, that's fine. I've gotten used to it by now, just don't abuse the privilege."

Now Tengfei's eyes seemed to brighten a bit more, but then darkened again unprompted. It was like he was having a secret conversation with himself.

"You can keep glaring if you want, I don't mind," he sighed, tired.

He knew what it was: judgment about his past with Xiaosi. He felt his stomach grip the emptiness inside, his muscles tense.

"Please know I didn't do it. I didn't want to... get so close to your cousin. It was a mistake and I really respect him, nothing else."

Xu Tengfei's gaze was hard to read, he only nodded and opened his mouth to say something, but Shang Qinghua was approaching them.

"Oh don't mind me, continue flirting," he said with a smile.

Shen Yuan's face soured and he dropped Xu Tengfei's wrist.

"We were just talking about the idiotic scene some useless writer wrote."

"Oh I saw, I think the tears were truly masterful so I came to congratulate you two. You gave it an amazing spin."

"Thank you," said Xu Tengfei demurely.

"It was just one interpretation, we'll see which one makes the final cut. Now we are going to have some dessert so go pester someone else."

"You're way harsh!" complained Shang Qinghua and put an arm around the man's back. It didn't reach his shoulders.

"I wouldn't be if you learned some respect," replied Shen Yuan, rolling his eyes. He started walking again and the others followed.

Somehow this chat was both tense and relaxed at the same time. Something had been left unspoken, but Shen Yuan wouldn't ask what it was. He wanted to forget the party, close his eyes and cover his ears and go "lalalala" until it was erased completely.

So he moved forward, not looking at Xu Tengfei who was watching him intently. Who had something stuck in his throat that he couldn't speak.

"Your ass looks amazing in this new outfit Shen Yuan, they really should have you wearing these pants more often," Shang Qinghua was either oblivious or an idiot. Or both.

Xu Tengfei chuckled behind them.

"Qinghua, if I ever end up having to show my ass on screen I'll skin you alive."

"Oh, I don't have the power to do that, I'm just an extra! But I appreciate the sentiment, I love you too, bro."

----------

Next Chapter - Chapter 14 - Dick Malfunction Part 1