Chapter 16 - Another Wolf Puppy Encounter

The sun wasn't even in the horizon yet when Shen Yuan heard a soliloquy from outside his window. It wasn't a fluid thing either, it stopped and tried again, rose in tone and dropped and was punctuated with growls of frustration. He echoed the growls as he got out of bed, putting on a robe and sneakers to go outside and scold the annoying huge brat that was making a ruckus.

"Shizun's teachings were cruel but if I learned one thing it's that there's more to a problem than what meets the eye," he heard Xu Tengfei attempt a line. What a shitty one it was too, what were those writers thinking dragging his name needlessly into that? Let the man shine, he didn't need to reference the villain every two sentences.

"You kind of suck," said Shen Yuan instead of the STFU he was going for. Never mind, might as well give him a hand.

"Shizun!" exclaimed the man a bit startled, "you're up really early. I'm sorry you had to hear that, I know I'm no good! I was just a bit nervous and-"

"Come, let's work on it. I was taught a few tricks by my last coach and it helped a lot, let's build your character from the bottom up."

"Please guide me then."

Shen Yuan thought for a moment before speaking again.

"Luo Binghe was miserable. He was beat as a kid, rejected and tortured. And then his shizun was cruel and strict towards him-"

"Not always!" protested Tengfei, "He was kind in the carriage and during the tournament. He taught Binghe, not only scolded, shizun is not that bad a person."

Right, the drama Binghe wasn't quite the same as the novel one. His brain had a weird mixture of versions he couldn't quite tell apart.

"You're correct I suppose. Even so he was pushed into the abyss by his evil shizun and taught by demons. Now, the same people that had rejected him before have rejected him again, how do you think Binghe would feel?"

"Sad," replied Xu Tenngfei, staring at the damp mixture of grass and dirt by his feet.

"And resentful," said Shen Yuan. Resentment had been one of the main leading forces during the novel, the main movement and the plot-

"Resentment is deep hurt turned to anger. But I think there's some hope in Binghe's heart. I think.... I think he's more complex than just hate. I ...think," he spoke a bit like a first grader learning to write.

Shen Yuan cocked his head. Maybe he was right? Well, whatever. He stepped in front of Xu Tengfei, the damp floor making an icky squelching sound that didn't add much to his attempt of seriousness.

"Now, let's improvise a scene. I'll go." he cleared his throat.

Xu Tengfei stood up straighter and seemed to glare. He looked way too menacing for someone who just repeated 'I think' fifty times in the same sentence.

"Luo Binghe, you've solved the mystery and yet have gained nobody's trust. You should just go back to the underworld," he spoke harshly.

"Shizun," he bowed his head and looked up, "I know I should return but I won't. Even if Shizun thinks I haven't trained enough and need to go back, I will prove to him that I have become better. I will prove myself to my shizun and everyone!"

Shen Qingqiu frowned. This was a bit of a twist from the resentful black lotus he expected to antagonize. He was the good guy, but this degree of goodness was quite a lot.

"And how do you expect to do that? Have you got any plans? Any ideas?"

"I have my shizun's teachings and my own acquired skills. I know I can do it. I will make shizun proud."