Chapter 9 - Where the plot finally moves forward already

The last day of filming came all too soon. The people kept running around like headless chickens, sweaty and red and miserable. Shen Yuan himself was wearing a zillion layer ancient suit in 38° weather but was much too lazy to go rushing about and was even drinking his usual black coffee.

He finished a few extra takes of his last scene in the morning and immediately changed to

some cargo shorts and his cheap "Fuck the System" shirt. Then he headed to watch Xu Xiaosi finish up.

The boy was talking to a sleep demon in front of a green screen. He was amazing at showing fear and yet seeming strong and challenging the unseen evil. As expected from the main character, unrealistic courage.

When the director said the final "it's a wrap" the crew and other actors started clapping. They were all smiles, shaking hands congratulating each other on a job well done. It was a pretty sort of noise, of happy people and voices he knew. Encouraging words, but also sad goodbyes to some who wouldn't be coming back. Shen Yuan knew he'd feel lonely from now on. Yeah, no news there, that was his usual life.

"Hey, are you coming to the party?" asked Jia, seeing him all contemplative in his corner.

"I am, System is making me go. Even got me slacks and a shirt so I look half decent."

"I bet you'll look fine, it'll be a great opportunity to network with outside guests. I heard some producers are coming over, maybe you can talk to them and try and get another job."

"Doubt it, but I'll be my usual charming self if I meet them," he said with a wry half smile.

"I'm sure you'll be charming, just don't insult them. And don't drink too much, keep in mind that even if it's a party it's still work. That's the best piece of advice I've ever gotten."

Shen Yuan simply nodded. That had some merit to it, he should probably listen.

"Very wise, thank you. I'd better get going already, I'll see you tonight."

"Until tonight!"

At home Shen Yuan took a brief nap, changed into proper attire, gelled a bit his slightly overgrown hair, put on fresh contacts for luck and left.

System hadn't gotten him a car, so he just took the bus as he would usually do. This time around some girls spotted him and asked for selfies. He complied with a nervous smile, no one to help him get away here, not even Xiaosi. Luckily it was fine. He could handle this.

When he got to the party he could no longer quite handle this. Every step he took, another high pitched voice begged.

"Please, just one selfie, I'm your #1 fan!"

He forced a smile for the camera, took another step, or half step, or didn't move and once more, another begging teen. He was failing as an asshole, but how could he refuse?

Luckily one of the crew saw him and walked over.

"The director is pissed off at you, you're late. Better hurry or you'll be in trouble."

"Of course. Excuse me," he ducked his head and moved forward, with the guy following right behind and making excuses as they inched forward, step by step parting the crowd.

"Does the director really need me?"

"Nah, I was just saving your ass. You looked like you were drowning there," said the mic guy, his name was Jinhai or something like that.

"Thanks, I owe you one."

They'd stopped just inside the entrance where someone checked their names.

They were in a small hall with nicely dressed people and a few waiters bringing champagne and canapes. It looked fancy as fuck. A door at the end of the hall opened to darkness and loud music. This was just the reception area and already it was a lot to take in, beautiful architecture, fancy wallpaper, faces too perfect to be real and clothes that probably cost half his salary.