49

Maybe if you pray a little harder, he'll disappear.

Too bad reality doesn't work the way you want it to.

Taehyung raises an eyebrow when you show no movement.

As a matter of fact, you're debating whether or not you should make a run for it.

You can't though. Not with these heels.

After a few seconds, you unwillingly drag yourself towards the man in blue. And it's painfully awkward. Each step feels like you're walking closer to the edge of a plank.

"I-uh... I must have dropped it a while ago. Thanks—" When you reach for it, he pulls his arm back along with his whole body causing your fingers to grasp the air.

Did he just prevent you from taking your wallet back?

You take in a deep breath and poke the inside of your cheek. "Tae-"

"We need to talk."

"Talk? Talk about what?" A hint of reluctance lingers within your tone.

A long pause fills the gap of silence.

You observe the way he's thoroughly thinking of what to say next.

The air feels like needles pricking against your skin. You don't want to be here with him longer than what's absolutely necessary.

You raise your eyebrows as an indication for him to proceed.

After what feels like forever, he finally says something.

"This won't do." Mumbles the man under his breath. Stripping his gaze away, he takes out his phone and hands it to you. "Type in your number. I'll call you when I have time in my hands. We'll meet up and talk then."

A bitter feeling settles in your chest as you stare at the device handed to you. Just when you thought your life was starting to become better, this happens.

You scoff— a noise filled with irritation and the sense irony.

"You've got some nerves don't you?" He left without a word. And now that he's back, he thinks he can casually tell you to meet up with him? "Listen. I've got work tomorrow morning and I really need my wallet right now to get ho— hey what do you think you're doing?!"

"Your car keys." He utters like it's the most obvious thing, tossing it your way. It slips and lands on the ground.

Taehyung watches you grab it with a groan before shoving your wallet in his back pocket and crossing his arms. "If you still want your wallet back, make sure to answer my call."

"How the heck are you gonna do that? I didn't even give you my number."

He turns his back on you. "Just make sure you answer it."

"Hey wait! Get back here-" A snap resonates the air and you glance down. The heel of your shoe broke.

Taehyung turns his back from you again. But for the slightest moment, it looked like he wanted to come back to you.

In silence, he leaves. With a broken heel, you have no choice but to trot towards your car and drive home.

The Next Day

It's a busy day inside the hospital. The waiting room's filled with parents and you're currently on your way to check in on a patient.

"And here's a candy for being a good boy." Haru's a ten year old boy who was involved in an accident last week. After going through his scans, you're relieved to find out that he's away from any danger.

The smile he shows warms your heart.

Five years ago, you took pediatric nursing and graduated with flying colors.

You've been working in the children's hospital for almost a year now and every day is a new experience.

After stopping by one last patient, it was time for your lunch break.

"I'll have a Caesar salad and an Americano."

"Dine in or take out?"

"Dine in

"That'll be two thousand won miss."

You hand him the exact amount and patiently wait for your order on the table. It doesn't take long before your order arrives and you scarf it down quickly.

Someone from the hospital had called you— demanding your presence back in the hospital.

You make it back in one piece and successfully park your car

"What's the emergency?" You utter as you reach the counter.

Your fellow co-worker Mira gives you a smile. One that doesn't reach her eyes.

Since you were in a rush, you had failed to notice the person standing beside you.

It's not until they clear their throat, coaxing you to look to the side.

Those familiar features makes you blink your eyes.

"About time you got here."

The salad you had earlier? You can feel it rising up your throat.

You ignore him though and face Mira who's awkwardly standing behind the counter. "You said there was a staff shortage."

"Right." She trails off, avoiding eye contact.

"There's no emergency is there?"

"I—"

"I told her to call you." Taehyung cuts in with his monotone voice. "Since you weren't answering any of my calls."

"Gee I wonder why?" You'll let Mira off the hook this time. It hasn't even been a week since she started working here.

Grabbing your clip board, you stride towards the elevator to do your errand.

"Why are you following me?"

"Why didn't you answer my calls?"

"It's my phone. Can't I ignore the calls that comes through?"

Inside the elevator, he blocks my arm from pressing a floor.

"We made a deal, Y/n. You can't back out that easily. I cleared my schedule today for you, you know."

The elevator closes and he punches the highest floor.

You glare at him. "I don't recall making a deal with you. It was all you okay? Now if you can excuse me, I have to get back to my work—"

His body's blocking the buttons and he won't budge despite my effort to reach them.

"Your wallet—"

"You can have it for all I care."

His expression remains stoic. "Okay fine. But we still need to tal-"

"Oh for the love of god." The last ounce of patience in your veins eventually explodes and you look him in the eye with resentment. "I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to see you. Ever. So please. Just leave me alone already."