thirteen

"Eomma, I've finished my homework

"Eomma, I've finished my homework. Where is my cheesecake?" Little Ae Ra yelled while rushing downstairs.

Her eyebrows met in confusion as she noticed the cheesecake she placed before at the dining table was no longer there.

She walked to the kitchen while her eyes glanced everywhere, trying to find her missing cheesecake.

Her ears perked up upon hearing her mom laughing and cooing from the living room. She ran there, surprised to see an unfamiliar boy around her age.

"Eomma?" She walked closer.

"Oh! Ae Ra! Meet Jisung." Her mom motioned her to sit next to the Jisung boy. "Jisung, this is my second daughter, Ae Ra."

"Who is he?" Ae Ra asked nonchalantly, more invested at the empty plate on the table. That's where she placed her cheesecake. Only one slice left and it was gone now.

"Our new neighbor. His parents need to fetch more things from their old house. He will stay with us until then."

She glared at the boy who munched the cheesecake happily, his cheeks full, made him look like a squirrel. "Why are you eating my cheesecake?"

Her mom gasped. "Ae Ra, don't be like that. I will bake some more for you."

"But you promised me I can eat that after finishing my homework." She cried out.

Jisung stopped munching, feeling guilty.

"I will bake it right away. You like cheesecake, right?" Her mom cooed at Jisung. "Play together first." She said before leaving the two in the living room.

Ae Ra rolled her eyes. She knew that her mom always wanted a boy as a child, that could probably be the reason why she was really fond of him. Still, she couldn't ignore the jealousy.

For her, he was just a random boy who came and stole her mom's attention away.

She flinched a bit when the boy suddenly extended his right hand. "Hello. My name is Han Jisung. You can call me Jisung since we are friends." A big smile plastered on his face.

"Friends?" That came out ruder than she intended to.

The boy nodded happily, still having that big smile on his face. "I am also in third grade. I will move to your school tomorrow. Auntie said we even got in the same class."

"That makes us friends, right?" He asked with a small voice, kind of intimidated because the girl kept a frown on her face all the time.

"No."

{}

The class clapped after Jisung finished introducing himself.