// CHAPTER THIRTY THREE //

"I've rang her like 3 times now she's not picking up?" I said, shoving my phone into my back jeans pocket.

"Well she better not have gotten far, she's got my keys and my car." Ross said, squinting his eyes as he looked towards the now shining sun in the sky.

"Dude I left my doob in the glove compartment!" George groaned before sitting on the steps outside the building which just made our dreams come true. I looked to the sun, shielding my eyes with the palm of my hand before stripping off my denim jacket and slinging it over my shoulder, beginning to walk towards the quieter and more colourful part of town.

"Where are you going?" George shouted after me.

"To find Avery you big piece of shit, you coming or what?" I called over my shoulder. I smiled to myself as I heard a faint moment of silence before the sound of 3 pairs of feet sloppily slapping the ground became louder as they caught up with me.

-----

Avery's P.O.V

"So you hit your head because he was driving like a lunatic?" Ethan asked from his seat, his eyebrows furrowing with confusion.

"Well yeah but it's not like he didn't have a reason to d-"

"No Avery, there's never any need to drive like a madman. People get hurt. Exhibit A." He scoffed lightly, pointing to the bump on my forehead.

"He had a tough night though be-"

"Because of the drugs, I get that. But why is he taking them, especially when you'd already caught him in that state before?"

"I don't know." I huffed, slouching back into my seat and folding my arms. Although he had a point, Ethan was beginning to piss me off. I'd told him bits and pieces about the story so far with me and Matty. I hadn't meant to, but when explaining how the bruise forming on my head had occurred he'd started asking me all sorts of questions and I found I couldn't stop myself spewing all this secret resentment and confusion.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be pushy. It's just when a pretty girl like you walks in with a big ol' bruise on your forehead and then tells me it's to do with a guy, well..." He shrugged, scooping his hand through his quiff in an upwards motion. I couldn't help but compare it to Matty, how he'd run his fingers though his hair until he reached the back of his head, before ruffling his curls into the exact same position they were in before. Matty did it a lot better.

"I'm not pretty." I laughed with a shake of my head, before placing the straw to my milkshake in my mouth and slurping the remaining liquid.

"You're right you're not, you're an absolute stunning person with a lovely personality to match," Ethan smiled at me, his bright white teeth shining at me. "Anyway I'd better take this to the kitchen, make it look like I'm actually doing some work. I'll be back though, wait for me?" I nodded slightly as he reached for my empty glass and walked into some flappy doors which read the word 'KITCHEN' in big red letters.

I sighed, lolling my head on to the back of my chair and staring up at the ceiling. The cafe was pretty old, and the ceiling displayed patterns made using the paint - white swirls with seemed to intertwine with other paler blue swirls and waves. It reminded me of the sea at dawn, the calmness before the storm.

The sound of the bell ringing indicating another customer had entered snapped me from my trance in time to see Ethan walking back to the table with a smile on his face.

"So what were we talking about?" I asked as he slided into the seat opposite me for the second time that day.

"How stunning you are." He replied, cocking his head slightly.

"I'm not stunning..." I coughed awkwardly, fidgeting in my seat.

"No, she's not." Another accent boomed, and my heart dropped as I realised instantly who it was. I turned to face Matty, who's face was like thunder and his fists clenched at the his sides. The boys were beside him, George towering over them all and I could tell by the expression on his face what was about to go down wasn't good.

"Matty this is-"

"She's not stunning, she's much more than that. She's amazing. She is thoughtful and kind, and she fucking radiates and shines like a god damn angel out of a shitty movie because my god she is impeccable. She's got a face straight out a magazine mate, her lips full and sort of pouted all the time even when I haven't done anything wrong - which lets face it, isn't much of the time, I'm an absolute wreck - and when she's smiling, when she feels comfortable enough to move that stupid hand of hers and let her smile fucking captivate me, her mouth opens to reveal these perfect little teeth and my god they're adorable because they're so small like what the fuck, how is that possible? She is far more than stunning, she's such a fucking beautiful creation of human nature, but meeting her in shitty little cafe like this when you're supposed to be doing your 9-5 job as nothing more than a pretty boy waiter to try and brainwash young girls to come in and buy stuff in order to stare at you, you wouldn't know that." Matty gushed out, panting for breath after he'd finished his speech.

I sat in awe for a moment, watching the prominent veins in Matty's neck disappear as he breathed. George and the lads looked equally as shocked, Ross looking towards the wall in a desperate attempt to escape and pretend he'd never been apart of the conversational exchange. I awkwardly stood up out of my seat and Matty instantly pulled me to his side, grabbing my hand so tightly I felt like a child being told off.

"Aves, we're going." He said, pushing Adam with his free hand towards the door before tugging me behind him.

"Avery wait, your receipt!" A once silenced Ethan shouted after me, waving a piece of white paper in the air. I looked into Matty's eyes, the fury behind them dying down slightly as he released me in order to get it. I grabbed the receipt from him and shoved it into my pocket, before I offered a small sympathetic smile to this somewhat dazed boy in the green apron.

"Hope to see you soon, Avery." Ethan said simply with a hint of a smirk, just before Matty once again grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the door.

As the sun hit my face I found myself thinking about the ceiling pattern again and the movement of waves. The calm before the storm.

The storm had just errupted, and the calm had been tossed aside.

------

(A/N: Hey! I've had massive writers block for a while now and I just couldn't find the energy to write, but now I've done it I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out.

PLEASE comment and vote guys, I love reading what you're feeling/thinking/believing.

The real question is though; Mavery or Athan? Will we be seeing more of Ethan? Guess you'll have to seeeeeeeeeee!

This chapter is dedicated to @AllThisBastille for voting for every single one of my chapters! Thank you!xx)